1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

UUGGHHH!!! SHIELDING IS KILLING ME!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by asnutter, Apr 11, 2006.

1. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    I have recently purchased a set of Dimarzio model j, jazz bass pickups, and wonder if shielding is necessary???

First off, let me say that I have searched the posts for shielding and have found a great amount of conflicting information...

I plan on installing these pickups with a traditional j bass vol+vol+tone control plate and pots...

I have seen the schematics and have a hard time understanding the grounding deal...

If the bridge is grounded, do you still need the shielding???

I have read Hyscock's book on electrickery, but have a difficult time assimilating his excellent info for bass...

HELP!!!

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I'm waiting for some shielding tape from Stewart-McDonald for my 2 unshielded basses. I have a Carvin LB20 (with the DiMarzio Model Js, by the way) that has a thoroughly shielded control cavity, and it is very quiet. Then there's the Squier II P bass, which is utterly unshielded and very noisy, and my favorite POS, newly fitted with Select humbuckers, which is sort of noisy. Those will both get the foil treatment, and I will try grounding the shield to the electronics. I didn't look to see if the Carvin's shield was grounded when I was soldering up the new pickups. In any case, it's easy enough to try it both ways.

3. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    thanks lp...
    the second website helped a ton!!!

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Good luck : } - It makes a huge difference on any bass. I hope you aren't one of those guys that will use old tin foil from the-aliens-are-reading-my-thoughts hats, hershey kisses and candybars and gumwrappers just to save a dime. The best prices I've found on high-quality foil with conductive adhesive backing are on Carvin's site, and it's the easiest to deal with.

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Of course not! I'm still wearing my "aliens-are-reading-my-thoughts" hat: I can't afford to take a chance with using the foil for my basses.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Wise choice.

7. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    nope, not planning on using juicy fruit wrappers...although I did consider the dentine wrappers before they moved to paper...
    I bought a big old sheet of sticky back copper shielding for 7$from some guy in New Orleans...
    Heres hoping the mail is back up and running down there...