Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uuuuh.... Is this right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bushfire, Jun 20, 2005.

1. I just noticed something on my bass. Aren't the strings supposed to go in between two pickup magnets? Well my g and d string don't.

[​IMG]

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot of basses are like that. As long as the string is not on the outside of the polepieces meant to pick it up, it is fine. I have seen basses ranging from $99 to $3000 like that.

3. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah man, i got that on my SX 62 Jazz 5'er, it aint no Sadowsky, but it still sounds like a jazz should.

ideally the bridge pickup should have slightly greater dimensions to allow for the string spacing increase.
    all my jazz's magnets dont align 100% either.

thats what you get when you pay 129 bucks

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Sadowsky right?

Figures.

5. You aint talkin' to me right? right? because its a samick (with no model name as far as I can tell)

Thanks for all the replys btw

6. damn... i hope this is a joke. did you not read bigmike's post? :D

7. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana

I was going to post the same thing before I scrolled down and saw your post :p

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The magnetic field emanating from the pole pieces isn't like a laser that only has an effect directly above the polepiece. The magnetic fields can spread quite some distance (relatively) from the axis of the polepiece, and if the string is still in it enough to modulate the flux and create a decent signal, who cares. If exactly the same pickup was made with the polepieces covered, so you didn't know, would it make enough of a difference sonically for you to notice? Aesthetically it might not be that pleasing though.

Some designers, and the one that springs to mind is Bill lawrence, make some 9 pole pickups that work for both 4 and 5 string.
    http://www.billlawrence.com/Images/Pickups/j45.JPG

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    With all the Sadowsky talk around here, I thought I'd add to the running gag.

10. I'll just say that the alignment of strings to pole pieces to strings matters a helluva lot to some guys. For some reason (aka maniacism) if strings do not perfectly bisect the two pp it's big problem, but tonewise it matters not. Check out old Fenders they were deffinately in the "close enough" crowd.

11. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i meant my SX aint no Sadowsky, but it serves me well none the less