Uuuuh...which one should I use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, May 16, 2001.

1. Excuse me if this should be in a different forum, but it's still bass related, so I thought I'd stick it in here first. If it gets moved, it gets moved. :D

Anyway, I was wondering...
    I've been bringing my Fender to rehearsal for Wally Dudes every time up until today, after realizing that the neck is slightly bowed. I brought both my Fender and my Ibanez 5 string, and ended up playing through the entire show on my Ibanez during rehearsal today.

The problem I'm faced with, besides the fact that tomorrow is the first day of the show, is that it's not quite as easy for me to play some of the songs on my 5 string, because I wasn't practicing the songs at home on my 5 string, and I wasn't using my 5 string in rehearsal until today.

I noticed, though, that the 5 string gives a much greater range of tonal options, seeing as it has active electronics as opposed to the Fender's passive electronics. It also has a much greater volume controlability. Where my Fender's 2 volume knobs tend to go up and down in little jumps, the Ibanez can fade in and out much more smoothly. Also, with the bass, mid and treble knobs on my Ibanez, as well as 'mix' knob (for the life of me, I can't remember exactly what it's called...) as opposed to the Fender's stack knobs with 2 tone controls that would cause a barely audible difference in tone to the musically untrained/uneducated ear.

So with all this now in mind, what do you guys think? I can't decide which bass to bring tomorrow, so I'm asking you guys...should I bring the bass I'm more comfortable playing only 1 or 2 songs on, and am slightly more familiar with, or should I sacrifice convenience and playability for a greater tonal range, where I can get a nice, deep, mellow tone for ballads, and a nice, punchy, aggressive tone for the more aggressive songs, and a lot of options in between for jazzy/rocky songs? What would you do if faced with this situation?
    Oh yeah, and while bringing both and changing between songs when we don't have to play is an option, I'd have to get up, turn off the PA, unplug whichever bass I'm using at the time and plug in my other bass, turn the PA back on, and then get back into position. That would, however, distract the audience, seeing as we're place upstage right, and are pretty much a part of the action when we DO play, but go into 'deactivated' mode when not playing, so as not to distract the audience.
  2. I'd suggest you use the Fender, that's what you've been using, if it's more comfortable, use that. Although I'm a bit biased, because I really like Fenders.
  3. I would use the Fender for gigs and practice on the Ibanez until you get the songs down. Then make the switch and fix the Fender. Everytime I change something for a performance that I only have 95% down, I screw up. Maybe the audience doesn't notice, but I do. Then I get more distracted and things go down hill.
  4. I would, but as mentioned in my original post, first day of performance is tomorrow, and I spent most of my time after dinner practicing the more problematic songs on my Ibanez.
    I think I've got MOST of the songs down on it now, but there's still one or two other songs that I still can't quite get. With any luck, I won't be TOO sleepy when I get home tomorrow, and I can spend an hour practicing rather than sleeping before call time. :)

Oh, and too lazy to make a new post, so just editing this one:
    'Shock value' or 'looks' or whatever you want to call it aren't part of the equation. If I played my Fender, then I'd probably get a lot of 'Oooh!'s and 'Aaah!'s from the audience, because it just looks so darned nice (now if only they ever saw any of JT's basses... :D). I'd probably get some 'Oooh!'s and 'Aaah!'s from the audience if I played the Ibanez, too, seeing as most people who know about basses probably haven't heard about any basses with more than 4 strings, seeing as about 90% of basses sold her are 4 stringers. :p