1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

V-4 headroom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IWillFlyOneDay, Mar 30, 2013.

1. IWillFlyOneDay

IWillFlyOneDay Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Hey everyone, this is probably a real dumb question, but I've learned so much in the past from everyone here I figured it was worth a shot.

My current rig is a 70's V-4 through an Ampeg 8x10. I love the tones I get out of it, I just wish for certain shows without P.A. support I was able to get a little bit more clean headroom to work with. Are there any ways to do that? I didn't know if I could run the v-4 through another power amp for more power, or if certain tubes would help, or if I should sell it and get an SVT classic haha.

2. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    You have just described the limitations of the V-4/V-4B ...the only work around would be, getting a more efficient cabinet ..... get another amp, if you want more clean headroom ... I had the same set-up some time ago

7636907178_609c13e800.
    Ampeg V4-B by jastacey128, on Flickr

3. Getting your amp tuned up may help a little, if it has not already had the caps replaced, then they should be. Those 40 year old electrolytic caps are well past their expected life if they are still in there.

Unless your power tubes are completely worn out--and I doubt they are--then new tubes probably won't gain you a lot. However--IF the amp still has all its original electrolytic caps in there, then there is a possibility the power tubes may have suffered a little. A new quartet of Sovtek 7027's will set you back around $100 and they sound just fine in mine.

Nevertheless, 100 watts (even of all-tube goodness) will only go so far. You can however use the "ext amp" jack and add an additional power amp with an additional cab. You've still got to keep a cabinet or dummy load plugged into the speaker jack of the V4 though.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You can get more clean headroom/cut through better by boosting your amps mid knob up to around 3-o'clock, and cutting its bass down below half way.

5. guymanndude1

guymanndude1

Feb 5, 2004
    I owned one for several years, so here's some thoughts on your question. The Ampeg pinned out the power tube section so that you all an also use 6L6GC tube interchangeably. While this doesn't amount to an appreciaible gain of power, I found that there are some 6L6GC's that had a late break up that did help a bit.

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm not even coming close to maxing out my old V4B through a pair of JBL 15"s. The 810 boxes require a little more juice, and there goes your headroom.

7. guymanndude1

guymanndude1

Feb 5, 2004
    Gonna be controversial here and say I disagree, the SVT810 that I had, did have a noticeably higher output, I used to use one with my V4B. I will say I relied on low mids, understanding how in a live situation they were so important in getting all of you harmonic content out there. The human ear is most efficient in these ranges, and they're often overlooked by bass players.