1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

V/B/T or V-V(stacked)/Master V/T?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by theculprit, Jan 4, 2018.

1. theculprit

theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    I bought a used Geddy Jazz last year and in a live situation, I found that I'm not a fan, at all, of the V/V/T control layout. I have decided to change the controls. After reading many threads on this subject, I have learned alot, but there is alot of conflicting information and opinion in regards to the subject of adding a passive blend.

My question is... I think i would prefer having a stacked V-V to control the blending of the pickups and then have a master volume knob, and then tone. Is there any glaring advantage or disadvantage tone-wise doing V-V/M/T vs the more common V/B/T setup?

Also would it be feasible to add a 3way pickup selector swtch (front/both/ rear) between a stacked V-V and master pots?

The master volume control is important to me for swells and such, not just for cutting volume between songs.... not a fan of vol pedals for this.

Thanks!

2. Those are actually the same thing. A blend pot is two volume pots sharing the same shaft. You are proposing to "separate" the pots to two different shafts by using a concentric pot or two different pots.

This scheme comes up every now and then, but it's not very popular. You do get a little more freedom with your volume settings, since the volumes can be adjusted independently, but it's usually not worth the effort.

3. Yes, but why do you need it? You already have multiple volume pots.

4. theculprit

theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    Thanks. I guess I should clarify my false statement " I'm not a fan, at all, of the V/V/T control layout".... I do enjoy the individual pickup volume controls as a change from the typical active pre with blend that I am used to. It's really the lack of master volume which is a functional shortcoming for me, and I'm thinking if I can retain the V-V pickup adjustment, it will allow me to experiment with tones in a more traditional fashion with this bass. I keep seeing guys write about doing 80-60 pickup blends etc., and although that is all a matter of exploration, it would seem more intuitive with V-V rather than blend to get at those both pickups rolled off tones.

As for the 3-way switch... With the Jazz, I find that I play with the bridge p'up on 100% always... with the neck p'up either 100%, slightly rolled off to taste (like this most of the time), or off completely... all this with the tone rolled off 30% +/-. I was thinking a 3 way toggle would provide a quick way to solo the bridge p'up for instance, without disturbing the tone I have with the bridge p'up slightly rolled off, and then a flip of the switch gets me right back to the blended tone with 100% accuracy. If you're saying it can be done without any out of the ordinary detriment to the tone, then it seems like it would be cool to have.

What do you think? And are there any good resources for different wiring diagrams like this?

5. I'll draw you a diagram when you decide which scheme to use.

6. theculprit

theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    Wow.. Thanks line6man. That is very kind! I would like to take a stab at the V-V/3-way/M/T. If it matters for illustration purposes, I would like the master V to be the first pot, V-V pot, then tone.

7. Which type of 3 way switch? There are Gibson style toggles, Fender style blade switches, rotary switches, and mini toggles.

8. theculprit

theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    Ahh. Yes... I think mini toggle is good. Mini toggle is what I have seen most on Jazz control plates anyway. Too bad there is not a concentric pot/rotary switch option (I've searched and didn't find anyway), but a mini toggle located up between the master and V-V would probably be easier to get to than a rotary on the tone knob anyway. Thanks again!

9. Okay. Mini toggle wiring is quite simple.

I would assume that you want the volume controls to function independently, as with Jazz bass wiring. Should the pickup selector remove the load from the opposite pot when soloing a pickup, or leave the pot in the circuit?

10. Here is a diagram which bypasses the volume pots when a pickup is soloed. This is what most people want. Otherwise, you can put the pickup selector switch before the volume pots.

25672480688_238abd5cce_o.

11. theculprit

theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    Yes.
    I would say which ever sounds like it would sound, if I was soloing by turning down the other pickup, unless doing it differently adds a desirable tonal option.
    So as I understand this, with this wiring, a soloed pickup would be on 100% with only the master volume control having the ability to lower the output?

12. No. If you solo a pickup, you get one volume pot feeding into a second volume pot. It's a redundant scheme.

13. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
  14. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    That’s a lot of volume controls! :) you may want to look into 500K pots...

Depending on how much room you have on your control plate and what mods you're willing to make (drill), it seems like a push/pull pot to disengage the neck pickup would get you what you want.

15. theculprit

theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    Bear with me. These seem like conflicting statements. I would definitely like the option to mini toggle switch to solo either pickup without the need to adjust its individual volume. For instance, If I'm running bridge at 100 and neck at 50, and then I want to toggle to neck at 100, with no other action other than toggle switch... Is that possible? (EDITED... i said toggle to bridge... corrected to neck)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. theculprit

theculprit

Jan 27, 2012
    Houston
    Yes on the lots of volumes... But with a master volume, I am perceiving the stacked pickup volumes as tone controls. I like to see it as 3 tone controls and 1 volume. :woot:.
    I get what you're saying about a push/pull, but that would eliminate the option to solo the neck, which might be desirable at some point.
    Interesting. I will look into the parallel/series option. I have seen people mention this before, but my impression was that there was a big volume jump going to series. What do you like about the series sound?

17. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Series is aggressive, parallel can be rich and complex.
    I use on the fly switching to enhance whatever I'm doing with my hands.
    I'm bouncing btw a Jazz, a $$ with SD Alnico MM's, and a $$ with Big Mans bc I can really appreciate the differences in the pickups types.

I'm also using a SWR Electric Blue, SVP-CL, and I'm probably buying a Mesa Buster 15" combo this afternoon to reach really specific strengths in whatever I'm hearing in the moment.