1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

V-Bass 2008: who uses one and what for?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    This V-Bass is one piece of gear I have never used. I am mos def open to new things and am intrigued by the sonic palette to be had in the V-Bass. Just curious who is using one and what sounds they might be finding useful. Thanks!

2. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I've used one in some live work and and some studio work, but very very little.

I find that the connectors aren't stable enough between the lead and the unit, so there's a pretty good chance of getting a very very loud crackle if I don't stand still while playing!

So the sounds are awesome, especially the synths. But the hardware is unworkable. Hopefully we'll one day see a version with a reliable connector.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've used one live for hundreds of gigs. I've never had problems with the 13-pin cable, I just wrap it though my strap. I moderated a V-Bass site for a couple years but the host screwed up and the extensive tips and how-tos are currently unavailable : {

Anyway, the key for live use is to make use of the footswitches and the foot treadle to access realtime control of parameters and what modules are turned off and on, and programming stuff that takes advantage of that, stuff that's more sophisticated than what the factory patches are (they are good starting points however). I make use of blending/layering the COSM bass section with the host bass's magnetic pickups.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Rather than adding a separate MIDI footcontroller, I routed two footswitches I installed internally to the jacks on the back panel so that I could map more parameters to them for dynamic realtime control:

[​IMG]