Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

V-Bass as a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Dec 2, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    This may belong in Effects, and if so, just let me know...I'll move it.
    Anyhow, as the title says, has anyone used the V-Bass as a preamp, and if so, to what results?

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    It depends on how you're planning on using the unit.
    If you're just gonna use the amp models and not the bass models, then it should be fine. Just like using a regular bass amp modeller like pod.
    BUT
    If you're intending to use the bass models as well, certain models won't sound as good thru your bass amp, than compared to a PA system. Things like acoustic models have a lot of harmonics and artifacts that a regular bass amp cannot reproduce.
    In this circumstance, it would be better to sent the main output from the V-Bass to the front of house mix, and use your amp as a monitor. This way you'll get a better representation of the different basses and the proper essence of miked up cabs.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's got amp models, and you can turn the speaker simulator off if you want. That, plus the effects make it an excellent preamp. Though, you might miss a handy volume control and some quick tone knobs (the pedal can be volume but is often used for other things).

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I can understand some sounds not working too great through my WMs heads, but what if I ran the V-Bass to a Crown CE1000 or something of the likes, then to my cabs. Wouldn't that have a good enough sound? I guess I'll just have to try some different rigs when I get the thing.
    Thanks!

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, it'd be kind of funky if you turned on, say, the SWR speaker simulation and still ran it through an SWR speaker. Might sound great, who knows. But just remember it's got the speaker emulator built-in (though defeatable) when you have an amp model on.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I use my POD Pro exclusively as a live preamp. For small gigs, I plug it into the effects return of my 210 combo. For larger gigs, I use a power amp and cabinets. It sounds great.

I haven't messed the the Vbass but the concept is the same.

Chas