Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

V-Bass fretless effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For all you V-Bassers out there, when using the GK-2B pickup, how does the fretless effect/model sound? Fretless-y, kinda-but-not-really, fairly close, not at all?

I might be coming into some money, and I'm debating maybe getting a fretless bass, or possibly a V-Bass and just faking it. (I don't mind speed bumps...) Of course, the V-bass would let me do a lot more than just fake fretless, I'm just wondering about that particular mode.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hmm...I haven't messed around too much with the fretless simulations. That's what FBB is for! :D Check Xush's V-Bass site here. He's got some clips he did, as well as a few from Adrian Garcia.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nothing will sound 100% like a fretless. But, apart from doing big slides, the VBass does a decent enough job if you only want the fretless sound on a couple of tunes.

If I were in your shoes, I'd pick up Mike Zimmerman's VBass for $650 while you can.
    That's as good a deal as you are going to find, and I can vouch for Mike as trustworthy, so there isn't any issue of dealing with someone you dont know.

I'll try and get a couple of samples online over the next couple of days while I'm off for Turkey Day if you'd like.