1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

V-Bass fretless effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For all you V-Bassers out there, when using the GK-2B pickup, how does the fretless effect/model sound? Fretless-y, kinda-but-not-really, fairly close, not at all?

I might be coming into some money, and I'm debating maybe getting a fretless bass, or possibly a V-Bass and just faking it. (I don't mind speed bumps...) Of course, the V-bass would let me do a lot more than just fake fretless, I'm just wondering about that particular mode.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hmm...I haven't messed around too much with the fretless simulations. That's what FBB is for! :D Check Xush's V-Bass site here. He's got some clips he did, as well as a few from Adrian Garcia.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nothing will sound 100% like a fretless. But, apart from doing big slides, the VBass does a decent enough job if you only want the fretless sound on a couple of tunes.

If I were in your shoes, I'd pick up Mike Zimmerman's VBass for $650 while you can.
    That's as good a deal as you are going to find, and I can vouch for Mike as trustworthy, so there isn't any issue of dealing with someone you dont know.

I'll try and get a couple of samples online over the next couple of days while I'm off for Turkey Day if you'd like.