Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

V-Bass is coming in the mail today!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LatinSatinJamin, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Oh man,

I am so freaking out in anticipation:bassist: . I can hardly control myself. I have heard so many great things about this system, that it is almost endlessly configurable, but I will have to see about all of that. When I actually tried the system out for myself in a music store the pick up placement was all screwy, so it naturally didn't pick up notes, then it was altered, and all of the patches sounded noisy and bad, but I think that could have been the amp, or the placement. What I have gotten out of these boards is that in order to produce a quality sound you have to tweak a lot, which I am fine with. I am just a little intimidated by the unit, and disappointed that it doesn't have Fodera modulation. I can't wait, but I also have a feeling of trepidation and impending doom. I keep on reminding myself that if I don't like it, I can return it and get that Conklin GT7 I have been lusting after, but I am afraid that I will get so lost in programing this bastard that I won't return it in time. I was planning on using the unit for bass modeling mostly, because I play a bottom of the line ESP LTD 105 5 string, and I want a nice sounding bass, but some flexablity. Hey Fred Honshon, I dig your bass tones, post more mp3's of the V-bass, please!

2. Sounds great, way too complex to describe, having problems with the levels of the low B and hi G string not sounding properly on the bass, but otherwise truely something else. Could someone please help with that, I have tried each and every gk placement option in the V-bass itself, still no dice.

Thanks

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Have you adjusted the sensitivity to each string on the unit itself? If not, to do that push the GK Setting button, then go over to the 4th page. I've got to keep the G on mine boosted a bit to get the best sound, too. Haven't tried it on my 5 yet...waiting to get another GK-2B.
    Good luck on programming some patches, too. I try, but usually get to entertained and sidetracked by just scrolling through the pre-sets, figuring out ways to make some of the odd ones useful.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    did you adjust the pickup itself?
    Get those little white tabs lined up w/ the strings?
    If so, could be the radius... I don't know why Roland puts such a curve on that p'up!

If you've got all the positioning figured out, then it must be the string sensitivity settings, like Adron says you have to tweak that for each bass usually. Drives me nuts, but it can be done.

How close to the strings is the p'up now?

Hope you get it set, it sure can be fun!

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    D'oh! Forgot about the setting the pickup thing...guess that would be because mine was perfect for my Jazz right outta the box! :D

6. I just got mine from Adrian Garcia today, too. This thing's gonna be fun! One thing I've definately noticed on the string balance issue, though, is that the sensitivity settings that work great for some patches are really unbalanced for others, especially the upright bass patches--I'm guessing some of the patches have either EQ or dynamics settings that make them really sensitive to output and tonal differences between the strings (and to slight differences in technique, too). Anybody else seen this?

Mike

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've always had trouble with my upright patches.
    I'm going to try installing the GK on a different bass soon. Hope that clears it up. I'm just not feeling the uprights yet.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So I bought it.

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    This strikes me as exactly the wrong way to use a V-bass. If the main reason you've got a V-bass is to make a cheap ESP to sound like a Fodera wouldn't it be wiser just to use a Fodera? If I were you, I'd send the V-bass back and save up for a better bass.

Alex