1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

V-Bass ? QUALITY fretted sounds using a fretless bass ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jibreel, Jul 30, 2007.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I am basically just a fretless player but I know I need fretted sound also. I can play my fretless in such a way so that it does not sound obvioulsy fretless but that is not my question.

One of my Turner basses has RMC piezos and a midi out jack.

What is the QUALITY of the different " standard " and " fretted " sounds will I be able to get using a fretless bass ?

Thanks for any info !

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I play fretted and fretless basses through the V-Bass.

I've recorded some sound clips of various V-Bass models and put them here. I was intending to do more models but my Tapco sound interface capped out and started to add a lot of noise.. Tapco Crapco.
    Note that these clips are recorded with no EQ and no nothing.... directly into the Crapco interface. (some of the amp models in the clips might have a default EQ setting though)

Anyway.

When you use a fretless bass with the V-Bass, you basically still play fretless versions of whatever bass model you use in the V-Bass. So if you play your fretless and choose the Thunderbird model, you'll sound like a fretless Thunderbird.
    The V-Bass doesn't do anything with your strings, your playing or your fingerboard. What it'll do is to emulate a different body on your bass, and different pickups (and effects and amplifiers, and tunings and synth things and...)
    So, to get a proper fretted sound, with the metallic rings and buzzes that might come with it, you'll want to use a fretted bass as "host" instrument.
    But, as you say, you can play your fretless in such a way that you won't sound obviously fretless. I often do that, in fact I do it most of the time as I really prefer playing the fretless. And the sound quality of the V-Bass is excellent IMO. I use it pretty much all the time, unless I'm too lazy to bring it.

Oh, and if there's some particular V-Bass model you'd like to hear, I can try and record sound clips of it using my fretless. That is, if my Crapco recording interface is in a good mood.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That's an interesting point, the V-bass doesn't add fret noise and buzz.
    If you did a pitch to midi and played back samples that would do it. Can you play with a pick? If so the Axon does OK job on pitch to midi.

4. Steve Digiorgio would know the answer

5. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks Elros for the good report. I have ordered one from Sweetwater so the worst case is shipping costs if I have to return it.

I think it might really work out well. My Turner basses have a very unique tone so the ability to sound like another bass should be what I am looking for.

I really don't miss fret noise at all so I am really looking forward to this :)