Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

V-Bass users, how reliable is it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbrad, Dec 23, 2004.

1. I may be doing some heavy travelling/touring next year and am considering using a Roland V-Bass instead of hauling around my pedalboard of vintage rarities and risking damage or loss. The sounds are close enough but I am not sure how it will stand up to the rigors of touring and I am especially worried about the pickup, control module and cable. What have your experiences been in this area?

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have the Yamaha pup, but it's the same as the Roland. It has been pretty reliable so far, but once one string cut out on the synth pup and I couldn't figure out why. I knocked on it a few times and it came back, but it scared me. I always use blend settings, so even if the synth pup completely died I would still be ok. One thing I've done since then is make sure not to put any stress on the pup controller module. Most hard cases will close, but the volume knob is the tallest point so all the stress goes onto that knob. Now that I use a gigbag it gets minimal stress. The floorboard is very well built. I once spilt an entire beer onto it and it worked fine after I let it dry out.

3. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey bassbrad.

I've been gigging 2-3 nights a week with my V-Bass for over a year now... Not a hiccup. Get yourself a sturdy case made for it, and make sure the pickup & control module are well secured & in a good spot. Treat it with a little care & i'm sure you'll have no worries!

I've heard of one copping a beer and working fine again after a clean & dry out!

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The input for the 8-pin cable on the GK unit always felt flimsy to me, but I haven't had any problems with it (not a heavy user).

5. i havnt gigged with mine but the unit feels sturdy enough, i agree about the 8-pin cable bein a little too flimsy though

regards
    dave

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'll actually be taking my VBass in for repairs this week since the 8 pin input jack has started to glitch with any movement. It's not the cable since I've tried 2 different cables, and it's not the GK-2B since I've tried two different GK-2Bs.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My cable makes a bad noise if I hit it but I just loop it through the strap and its fine.

8. Thank you for thew responses and I have 1 more question before I decide whether or not to get a V-bass. If the pickup, cable or interface were to go down, how well does the V-bass work as a multieffect unit with the bass plugged straight in?

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It works well w/ the regular input. You won't have access to the bass models or the tuner, but you can use lots of the other stuff. I use the amp models w/ my 5 string (no GK pup on it) all the time.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It works quite well, I use mine that way more often than w/ the GK. It has a pretty good array of effects and you can re-order them to a large degree. It works OK for guitar too -- the guitar leads of this track were recorded with the guitar plugged straight into the V-Bass:

http://home.comcast.net/~taylorsherman/loki.mp3

(the sustained and harmonized leads are through the V-bass -- the harmonizer isn't an Eventide but it works OK).

edit: guitars on this one through the v-bass too:

http://home.comcast.net/~taylorsherman/frame_funk.mp3

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The tuner works OK when you plug in directly, at least on mine.

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Really? Maybe I was just making an assumption. For months . . . I'm going to go try it right now!

edit - you're right, cool!

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    How is the triggering with the Roland pickup (I assume it's the GK-2B)? Is it reliable? Can one play chords reliably, bend notes reliably, do machine gun fingerstyle reliably? Does it work for slapping as well?

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    For the bass modeling, yeah that stuff is all fine -- it's basically a funky EQ process.

There are some more synthy-type things, namely an oscillator effect and the polyphonic pitch-shifting, that it has a harder time with. I was disappointed with the pitch-shifting, at least in the sense that adding an octave-up, to similate an 8-string sound, is pretty icky sounding.

15. really nice, makes me wanna put my KC albums on, time to get the guitar slung through the vbass .... thanks for the inspiration :hyper:

16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wow. I bet it's been 6 months or so since I plugged mine in! I really need to get back in gear with that thing. What have y'all found for transportation of it? I think Roland's quit production of thier carrying case, and it's too wide to affix in a rack. I'd like to have a rack built to house it, and control it remotely, but that is just a little expensive. :( Transportation has been my main reason not to gig with it over the two years or so I've been toying with it.

17. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I got a large pedalboard from www.rondomusic.com and it fits perfectly, w/ room on the sides for cables. It's not ideal because there's no padding and I do have to take it out of the tray to hook up the cables, but it's pretty strong and cheap.