Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

V bass whoo-hoo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xush, May 24, 2002.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Well, I’m going to break one of my cardinal posting rules and proclaim a picless and clipless whoo-hoo.
    Finally received a GK2b pickup to go with the V bass that I’ve had for 2 weeks(Musician’s Fiend: very bad; Zzounds: very good!), so now I can properly review it. I’ll upload some pics and clips once I can get to them.

Interesting unit. I’d give it an 80% approval rating. It does a few things better than I expected, most things as well as I expected, and at least one thing not at all well- which I hadn’t expected.

Bass Modeling: A+. Very nice emulation of a few classics (P, J, MM, Hofner, Tbird, Rick…) Variable modeling is fun, let’s you change your p’up config and placement. You can have piezo’s, or singlecoil/HB @ neck or bridge position, and you can move the position of the virtual magnetic p’ups.

Fretless and Upright Acoustic models: B- Pretty much what I expected. Fretless seems to be a slow attack type approach, it’s OK, but nothing mind-bending. Acoustic basses attempt to model resonance and other factors, and I suppose it’s closer than other attempts, but I don’t think it’ll fool anyone unless it’s mixed WAY in the back…

Synths/OSCs/Filters, etc: B. Pretty good. Some trouble following pitches with the filters.

Amp/cab/effects modeling: A. Most of these are pretty good. I really like some of the overdrives and distortions.

Pitch-shifting: C-, so far… I suppose these effects are very setup dependent, so I’m not ruling out that my GK2b setup isn’t a little off. I’ll be installing a Gk on a few different basses to see how they compare, but so far I’m not impressed with the pitch shifting capabilities. I suppose that’s not a huge shock though. Shouldn’t have expected differently, really. Just seems to have a hard time handling the lower tones, and you get that artifact-ish, tinny timbre with the octave shifts. Too bad, really- I was hoping it could do a decent 8 string impression. So far it doesn’t for me, but maybe it will improve with some tweaking.

I’d say the strength of this unit is definitely the modeling. It really does give access to some interesting, unexpected tonal colors. It may not capture all the nuances of a vintage J or T-bird, but it does allow for a wide palette of useable sounds. Being able to adjust the position and configuration of p’ups means you can coax a wide variety of flavors out of just one bass. There’s a lot more left to explore, but so far I am happy with what this unit has to offer.

Did I forget anything?
    Not sure which forum should lay claim to this, so I stuck it in my favorite.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    got your pickup!! good deal!!
    i think the 8 string emulation is pretty good- did you check out the 8 string mix patch?? you should make sure your pickup is well tuned in- in the gk settings- buit u know that, right? enjoy!- peace, Adrian

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yeah, I've been tweaking that sucker all day, but still seems like the low notes are a little unstable on the Pshifters.
    Not bad as you go up the neck tjpigj. I won't write it off just yet, I'll be trying some other basses for comparison.

Didn't get the P'up MF owes me; I bought a second one from Zzounds, came the next day. The Fiend is jerking me around hard on this one. Apparently all their Vbasses shipped without the P'ups! If the one they owe me ever shows up, I'm putting it on my Pentabuzz.

Did you mount your GK on the back of your bass? I'm trying to attach mine to the strap, or the back of the bass, failing that.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    the back of the bass, man- from now on all my basses will come with the rmc system- ill check out that pitrch shifting to see if it sucks for me, too!1- peace!- Adrian

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    click on the Vbass link for a few goofy samples and blurry pix:

v bass clips...

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Thanks for the sound clips! Interesting. I'd like to hear the individal bass models recorded clean though to get an idea of the fundamental differences.

Hah! "Lovecats" is always the "let's try to get an upright sound" I use. Doesn't sound much like an upright though.

The MM setting is very impressive! They got a P-bass one?

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. What all do you have going on the SFX one?

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yah, Taylor, I hope to get a sample of each model up eventually... 'dry' would be the way to go.
    I think most of the models would work, especially in a mix with other instruments- but I don't really see the acoustic fooling anyone.

I think the FX is a fretless model w/ heavy mod/delay; I forget what all is going on there, I'll check the preset.

BTW, all of these clips were pretty much stock presets, which is usually a big no-no. Hopefully they'll improve as they get tweaked. Just figured it'd give an idea of what this thing does.

I'll try to get some clips of the P, T-bird, Hofner, and a few virtual setups w/ piezo and such.
    thanks for listening.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Really nice soundclips! How much do these V-bass things go for incl the pickup?

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Looks like they're pretty much selling at the $1099.00 mark at the moment.
    I ordered a second pickup, they go for around $200.

I'll try to get some clips without any effects soon.
    I think most of them have a little chorus or whatnot going, I should have run it drier...

11. great samples!

I like the SFX setting a lot- the fretless emulation on a fretted bass is an interesting concept as unlike on a real fretless bass the mwah is applied to the open strings and the open string harmonics too.
    (although I'm sure it probably also lets you program it so when the open strings are played there's no effect)

I bet Doug Wimbish is using the V bass already:D

the acoustic patch is poor though....

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    xush- i have some tweaked patches i can send mp3s for , if you are interested in adding some smaples- i have some acoustic patches that come a little closer- and also, it helps if you play the acoustic patch with your right hand closer to the neck- adding vibrato greatly enhances the effect- i also have som pat metheny style stuff and mixed patches with synth and real bass- that really fattens things up- ill be working on them tonight and can email them to you is youd like- peace, sounds great, man- Adrian

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    that'd be great Adrian, thanks! I emailed you the address to send them to.

I haven't really concentrated on getting an acoustic patch tweaked up yet, but I hope to eventually. I'll be gigging with the V tonight, we'll see what happens.

I'm guessing the acoustics will work a little better on fretless, hope to find out soonish.
    I like how you can toggle the vibrato w/ the control pedal. That makes for some interesting possibilities.

I'll have to get some OD's and wahs together too, they are kind of interesting.

It's also intriguing how you can arrange the effects and GK input anywhere in the chain you want. That is a great way to experiment with the interaction of different components.

SO much to explore!
    I don't know about 'solo' samples...I think it'd be good to hear it in the mix w/ other instruments, but for now some quick clips will have to suffice.
    I guess it's good to begin with what it really sounds like dry though.

Maybe we can trade some patches eventually, Adrian...once I've got some to offer.

14. Hey guys,
    I have small hands, fingers and would be VERY VERY interested in hearing samples of the fretless sound on a fretted bass. This might at last, be my answer for playing "fretless" without having to make jumps with my hand in order to get to the correct pitches. Once you get the sounds down convincingly, would you consider either "posting" the clips here or email them to me via mp3s privately? Many thanks. Enjoy the toy! Jim T.:cool:

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    hey Jim;
    these 2 clips on my site are based on the fretless model, played on fretted bass. I'll try to get some more together soon.

fretless

FX w/ fretless

You couldn't do a real fretless gliss because of the frets, but you do get a lot of pseudo-mwah and it's quite sensitive. I'll try to get a dry sample of just the fretless model soon. The above samples are pretty 'wet'

16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Mark:
    Where were you gigging? Ah! Lemme know about these things! I really wanna come check it out!

And BTW, I snapped one of those mountainboards today.:( It will be deeply missed!

17. Xush,
    Cool! Thanks, I check out your samples. I wondered about the gliss thang.:) :cool: Jim T.

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Please forgive my garrulous prolixity on this subject, but I'm having so much fun w/ this sucker!

Took the V bass to a 'jam/rehearsal' last night...the gig fell thru so I went over to a friend's house. Nice PA, small room, miked drums...it can be a nightmare usually. For some reason I only took the V. No amps or nuttin.

Well, I've never had a more satisfying experience without an amp. I've tried the POD on several ocassions, trying to get a good DI tone thru the board. Never really nailed it for me. But the V was awesome.

I forgot the adapter patch cable that you connect the GK2b to your bass output with, so it was all pure V bass last night, no blended signal at all. Couldn't believe how natural it was! I thought I was playing a MusicMan most of the time. Great response, great dynamics, great tone. Very happy.
    Even the 8 string sim sat pretty well in the mix.
    The signal was way hot thru the XLR's tho, so I had to back everything down a bit.

Overall, that was a great trial run. I really think this thing will be great for gigs. I'm sure it will only sound better with the actual bass blended in, but man, it does just fine on its own too!

Adron, sorry to hear abt the board. You didn't snap anything attached to you, did ya?

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK, I couldn't take it anymore. Just ordered a V-Bass from zZounds. :D Out of stock until 6/3 unfortunately. MF has them in stock, but I'd have to pay tax and shipping, so I figured I could wait an extra week to save $100. :) Plus, what Xush and others went through not getting the GK-2Bs from MF! Didn't want to risk that myself :).

Now I wait. . .

20. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Taylor, I wish you success in your purchase. It's a fun unit for sure, but don't 'spect no miracles! That's my motto. Sorry if we exacerbated your GAS.

We added 3 of Adrian Garcia's V samples on my V bass page. He's definitely a more accomplished bassist than me, I really should list his samples first, but I just did a quick addition... check them out!

Thanks Adrian! Sounds like you're having fun with yours too. Lots to learn, isn't there?

Next, we'll try to get some tracks w/ the V in the mix with other instruments. Any requests?

Obviously, a P and an 8 will be tops on the list...