V for Vendetta? The movie?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Anyone else stoked? I love comics- and anything Alan Moore touches- and sadly have yet to read the graphic novel.

That said, Hugo Weaving of Agent Smith fame is playing V and Natalie Portman is the supporting lead. It'll be decent at the very least, methinks.

2. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    My son and I plan to see this movie, this week. I'm STOKED!!! I never read the comics, but the movie trailers appealed to me. I love sci-fi novels. Its moved me to check out the comics and what-all.

Cherie :)
  3. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    From what I've seen of the press regarding this film thus far, I wouldn't be a fan of a movie whose 'hero' is a terrorist who blows up parts of London.

We'll have to see when it comes out.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

5. Meh, but it's not like the London of today- it's a neofacist government full of corruption, lies, and treasonous experiments.

I know I'll find something to like.
  6. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Man am I out of touch... I thought it was one of those Sue Grafton books you always see at the airport... :bag:
  7. Looks pretty cool.. I have very little idea of the storyline tho!

Looking forward to it, is I.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You mean the Wachowski brothers are actually giving credit to the original author for this one? How novel! (no pun intended)

9. Harrrrsh Brad. Heh, I saw your thingy in Bass Player months ago and it seems like you're well known here.

But actually I dunno, because Moore is really unsatisfied with any film version of his works.
  10. I think the movie looks pretty cool - I'll try to catch it over spring break.
  11. Well, remember that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
    Myself, I have to see this movie, since the comic is one of my favourites as far as graphic novels go. Few novels, graphic or not, exhibit such a captivating, dystopic atmosphere as V for Vendetta does. And I think it ought to translate well to the big screen.
  12. So far I've only seen the posters but those look pretty cool already. It is one of my favourite graphic novels, on par with Watchmen. I cannot recommend it enough, even for people who usually don't bother with comics.

I just hope that Hollywood didn't felt the need to reveal the face behind the mask.
  13. Monk

Jun 15, 2004
    From what i heard they screwed it up bad. So bad that, in fact, Alan Moore got fed up with the big business that DC comics has become and left the country. He felt that his work wasn't being portrayed the was he wanted it to, and his work was being skewed to fit the needs of a multi-million dollar corperation. But I heard all this second hand, meaning I didnt read/hear anything about it from a reliable news source, so who knows. I have read the graphic novel, and loved it, its a shame that they probably screwed it up.

Won't prevent me from seeing the movie, though.
  14. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    We'll have to see, when it comes out, if he does targeted actions against individual, corrupt leaders or groups of those responsible, or if he intentionally kills a bunch of innocents to make his statements.

I'm not quite able to accept that someone who blows up a bus or pizza parlor full of innocent people is any type of freedom fighter, no matter which side does it. That's terrorism no matter how you slice it. And I hope that the movie doesn't glamourize that type of action in any way.

I'm sure my wife will rent it when it comes to video, so we'll see.
  15. Or, you can visit your local public library and check out the graphic novel. That way, you'll get an idea of who V is, why he does what he does, and if the story glamourises terrorism or not, before spending your hard earned cash on tickets for a movie you're likely to dislike.
  16. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I could do that... but the movie may or may not follow the book accurately. I won't spend more than $2 to see it though, I don't go to movie theaters. I have been to one ONCE in the last 7 years, to see Land of the Dead. My wife rents just about every movie so I'll wait.
  17. Its very targeted. Its also an AMAZING graphic novel. Oddly, in my last year in school, me and my mate found a copy in the school library amongst all the "Count To 10 With Spot" style books. We spent the whole year rereading it.

Alan Moore has indeed distanced himself from the film production; still looks pretty good though. I imagine me and Dodgy Dave (the aforementioned mate) may whap out some of our hard earned cash for it.
  18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You know, I can't watch Hugo Weaving anymore without imagining him saying, "Mr. Anderson". :)

Even in Rivendell in LOTR, all I could think was Elrond leaning over Frodo going, "Mr. Anderson, there's nowhere you can go where I can't find you".
  19. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses

Thank GOD we have the opinion of a REAL movie fan to help us out. :rollno:
  20. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I enjoy movies. I don't enjoy spending the outrageous ticket, popcorn, candy and soft drink prices that it costs to take my whole family to see a movie that I can watch from the comfort of my home a few months later for a couple bucks while drinking a beer, lounging in my recliner in my underwear and eating a big T-bone steak if I want. We also own WELL over a hundred DVD's. Who knows how many VHS tapes.

Let me know what I can do, o mighty arbiter of movie fandom, to become a REAL movie fan.