V Shaped Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by choo5, Jun 27, 2004.

1. choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    i was looking around at basses and lead guitars and im pretty new to the guitar / bass but why arent there any "Flying V" basses? is there something im missing? :bag:
  2. devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    Go to epiphone.com and look under basses , or go to music123.com and search epiphone basses and you'll find one. They come in only black if im correct and cost around 400-450$.
  3. Gibson made one back in the day, we're talking early eighties, but I rarely see them, even on ebay.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well they're very uncomfortable instruments to play IMO. You can't sit with them unless you play them like a classical guitar, and then most people wont be able to reach the first frets. That could be one reason.

They're not very popular, never were. Gibson made them and the Explorer basses in the 80's. Pointy basses never REALLY caught on.
  5. The frontman from All American Rejects uses a flying V bass
  6. okay, has anyone ever seen a Flying V bass in 34' scale? :confused:
  7. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Yes, Ibanez made a few in the 70's [lawsuit era], warmoth [I'm not sure if they still do], I once saw a silver charvel, and I've seen one other with a zebra wood body but can't remember who made the thing. And John Entwistle had one in tommy.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't mind a flying V bass. But, as pointed out, it'd be for standing/gigging only, not much of a lap bass. At the same time, the flying V guitars aren't lap guitars, either; so it seems like a non-issue to me.

I think it'd be a lot of fun to have a souped up flying V bass. If you made the body out of a heavy/dense wood (ovankol, walnut, bubinga, rosewood), and didn't have a huge headstock, you could probably even avoid neck dive.

Mmm... that'd make a fun 4 banger.
  9. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Guitarist for Jet use's one too doesn't he?
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Generally.... bassists have more taste, subtlety and restraint than guitarists!! ;)
  11. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I have a black Epi V bass. I gig with it regularly, and love it. Sounds good, plays well(I like short-scale basses), and just looks cool. In a city where EVERYONE plays a Fender, this bass really stands out.
    Gibson's V basses were 34" scale.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Check Epiphone, they have done them in a vew colors
  13. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I think Dean makes a flying V, as well...

If you like to sit down, while practicing,, a V will slide off your leg, unless you prop it up by jamming your knee in its crotch!!!
  14. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004

They're horrible, neck heavy monstrosities.

You can only play them strapped on, and then only barely.
  15. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    I guess the concensus on V basses is:
    "..love it" , "They're horrible.."
  16. One of the local small club arena rockers here had a flying V-bass, I think it was a black Epi. He traded it and a sixer of some sort for a Warwick and Stingray though so I haven't seen it in a while.
  17. +1

3 strikes.

Shape of a V. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Strike one.
    Painted black. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Strike two.
    Non-comfortable sitting position. . . .Strike three.

Ofcourse, that's just MY personal preference. They wouldn't make so many different looking basses if someone didn't like them. :)
  18. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    True, here's my opinion.

Shape of a V. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Looks cool.
    Painted black. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . See above.
    Non-comfortable sitting position. . . .I've never played a gig
    in a sitting position, and I
    don't think you buy a V-shaped
    bass just for the studio.
  19. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I bought a Hallmark SweptWing VS-4. It's a right side up V as you can see.

Very retro, very cool. I chose, Dove Pearl White (body/headstock) with Tortoise Shell pickguard.

Check out their website if you haven't already. Lots of cool photos and information on these new 60's throwback guitars and basses.

20. [​IMG]

Only 25 being made like this for Dean forum members. This one is the prototype.