Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

V-Stack "Classic" Pedal = Joker's Idea of OD Heaven!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Dec 28, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i'm a HUGE stickler for OD pedals, and i think i found my holy grail!

[​IMG]

i've used my Vstack mostly for my guitar rigs, but one day, while going thru some pedals, i thought, "why not for my bass?"

and HOLY CRAP, awesome OD sounds! from low warm gritty affairs to driving, rockin' out high gain sounds, its not as ratty or flubby as my old fulltone BassDrive, which i thought was horrendous. rather, the Vstack has richer, more grindy, gravelly sound that holds together and doesnt suck out the low end. at times, it does seem similar to the sansamp, but the Vstack has what seems like a deeper more involving sound, and it has a more apparent ampeg blowing up kinda sound that i could never get w/ the stiffer sounding sansamp. heck, it makes the sansamp seem almost 2D.

and it records beautifully, too. its actually a "marshall in a box" sim type pedal for guitar players, ala the sansamp, but again, i think the Vstack takes that tone to higher levels. i'll try and get some samples up.

but bottom line, i highly suggest this pedal to anyone who's not too happy w/ what's out there in terms of bass OD's. its literally stopped my search.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    very cool. you don't find it's voiced more for guitar?

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    at first, i thought it was, but then i realized, that's cause i had the EQ setup for my usual strat/marshall sounds. :p

but the cut knob doesa great job in itself of helping me find the tone i want, and the bass knob, well, it does what a bass knob should do. ;)

all in all, it is a tad voiced, but still allows my sad to sound like a sad, my MTD to sound like my MTD, and P bass to sound like me P bass.

again, i'll try and cook up some sound samples later.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Have you tried a box like the SansAmp GT-2? I have had good luck with that box, cranking the bass knob and using the "California" (Mesa) setting. Pretty amazing OD with great feedback sustain. This looks like a similar deal.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

i did own the Sansamp Bass DI and Classic, which compard to the Vstack are a tad 2D'ish compared to the VS.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd be interested in hearing that... if you're ever in Jersey or feeling generous, I'd like to check it out ;)

7. i own the vstack as well and tried my p-bass thru it and loved it! i agree that for bass the vstack makes one hell of a an overdrive pedal. actually i think it's more distortion but still. and also, as advertised, it makes one hell of a pedal for guitar. it does indeed sound like a marshall stack in a box. sounds a lot better and more real than the guitar pod IMHO. i haven't used my pod in the months since i purchased the vstack.

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Let's hear the samples.............