V-Tech scam against senior citizens

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Low8, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Has anyone been affected by the V-Tech computer scam that's been going around the past few years? Someone I personally know was recently preyed upon and I wanted to share in hopes of helping others.

If you're not familiar with the scam, the folks behind it are posing as representatives of a bogus tech company called V-Tech... and they're contacting mostly senior citizens in hopes of getting money out of them. In a nutshell, these folks (who sound like they're from outside the U.S... but have caller ID which shows they're in the States) call folks by phone and leave messages/voicemails, saying they represent the tech company which made the virus-scanning software on their computer... and there have been charges made... but if you want them to stop charging you for their product, you need to contact them immediately.

Once the victim is on the phone with the scammers and proceed with this, the victim downloads software the scammer e-mail them... but this is actually dangerous malware. With the help of the software that's now the victim's computer, the scammer tells you they've made a mistake in refunding the money... and they've refunded the victim too much money by accident. What they've actually done is a little smoke-n-mirrors job with the victim's actual online banking, making it look like they've got $40,000 in their account by accident. So what they're trying to get the victim to do is wire transfer the money supposedly owed back to the company... BUT THIS IS ALL A SCAM as no money has ever been transferred into the victim's bank account.

Not only can the victim be guilted into transferring money to these jerks (the scammers are absolutely relentless with their phone calls)... but the software they get you to install is super-dangerous as they can watch your every move you make on your computer.

A close family friend of mine recently fell victim to this a few days ago. The software was installed... the scammers' phone calls persisted... but the victim got help just in time, contacted family members and their bank and got everything was stopped without losing a dime. They did have to erase their home computer's harddrive but everything is a-okay now.

When we went to research this scam, we found WEBSITES GALORE that detail it by major media outlets and other victims. Here are a few reports...

From CNN.com Don't fall for this computer virus scam!

From The Boston Globe AG charges Melrose couple with running a tech support scam targeting seniors - The Boston Globe

Forum where victims tell their stories V Tech Solutions 2020 Reports & Reviews - ScamPulse.com

I recognize there are a number of older folks on TalkBass... so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE watch out and beware. If you get any phone calls which sound similar to this, don't talk to them and hang up. And if you mention you've contacted the police, the scammers will probably hang up first! :cool:

Stay safe and keep your guard up. There are some real dirtballs out there.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  2. My Mum in NZ gets the occasional scammer with those sorts of deals. She hasn't turned on the PC in years so they don't get far with her.

3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    The most common around here is claiming to be preventing you being charged for a “Microsoft license free”. They get you to log on to a website where they hijack your machine then extort money to let you have it back. Or the student loan forgiveness scam.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    That's probably the most common type of scam because it works so well. If you believe you're speaking to an agent from a legitimate company, then you'll be more like to trust them compared to some Nigerian prince.

I bought a used car from a dealer last year. I financed through my insurance company and I make monthly payments. A few months ago I got a phone call from some woman claiming to be from my finance company that my last payment didn't process, but I could take care of the missed payment over the phone by using a credit card or direct deposit to them. They said they'd provide me with the information I need to make the payment.

I recognize the phone number of my insurance company and this wasn't them. Nice try. She somehow knew that I had purchased the car, knew the name of my insurance company, and the exact amount of my monthly payment.

I told the woman I was getting bad reception and she should call back. I then hung up and checked the status of my car payments online. They were up to date as expected..

The woman called back and I cussed her out before hanging up.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Gaolee and kobass like this.
  5. My Dad passed away in 2012 before many of these scams were as slick as they are now. While I miss hi, I'm kind of glad he wasn't around for these, because I'm sure he would have fallen for one of them.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I regularly remind my mother not to reply to any emails or click on anything that comes to her phone. She’s older now but was gullible when she was younger anyway. Preying on the elderly is ******* disgusting. It doesn’t help that her elderly friends forward her garbage they’re getting so she sees it’s from friends and assumes it’s legit.

PWRL likes this.
  7. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Agreed in the biggest way, Gorn. Anyone that preys upon the elderly or on the young needs to be shot.

8. It’s scary that she had all those details. Usually scammers have no idea who they’re talking to, they just try to ensnare whoever happens to pick up the phone. I wonder if she had hacked into your insurance company’s records?

Most of the calls we get on our landline are from scammers. I just check the call display and ignore them.

hbarcat likes this.
  9. Many of these phone scams originate in India. The scammers identify themselves using English names. Occasionally you’ll see arrests and the suspects are shielding their faces. Regular law-abiding Indians hate these people as much as anyone.

10. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    This guy is the absolute gold standard of scamming:

I am extremely familiar with these tech support scams. Very predictable script. They will not deviate from it. I ask everyone to give 100% of your scam numbers to www.scammer.info where they can best be exploited for our entertainment and prosecuted when possible.

As the least, please waste their time, IF you have time. Guarantee you the Ritz Carlton isn't giving out free vacations over the next 4.5yrs (that's a stupid common one now). If I called you, how long would it take for me to get your information? How much is available now?

My name and DOB are on this site. I dont care. I've never borrowed a dollar in my life and I never will need to do so. Everything is frozen. On purpose. So I get to have fun. Don't have enough bandwidth to make VM's etc worth it. But hey I know my SSN and other information is out there.

Don't know where I was going with that, but please report these numbers. This can be a linchpin to the operation. It is something that is done remotely. Just give the number and go home. They will suffer eventually. There is dedication across the globe to prevent scamming.

EDIT: Oh, and if you want to know immediately if they are in Dheli, identify yourself as "Benjamin Chode."

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022