V Tube question on Ampeg SVP Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chalie, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Hi,
    Would you advice me to change the OEM V-Tubes to different make tube for best sound quality.
    Which is you choice, if so.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't retubed my SVP-Pro, but the previous owner did. He had retubed it with some relatively inexpensive Chinese tubes that a vendor named Lord Valve recommended. I don't know what these tubes are specifically, but I'm sure Lord Valve would know. A Google search should turn up his website easily enough.

Perhaps others here will have additional recommendations.... bump!
  3. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Do you dislike the sound with the stock tubes?
  4. I have not receive the amp yet but I am just curious about the quality of OEM. I learnt that people do change the tubes of new preamps due to OEM cost cutting matter and I wonder if I should.
    I have not the opportunity to try different make tubes so I post this on the web to see how people think.
    Thanks for your good question.
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The main reason I've heard of people retubing SVP-Pros is to drop the noise floor ... and I've also heard from most that the improvement was not dramatic. Mine is stock and I love it.
  6. sorry, what is the noise floor
  7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The amount of sound the preamp makes when no signal is coming in to it. Hiss or buzz that comes from the circuit itslef. The SVP-Pro is notorious for having more hiss than most high end preamps, but I've never found it to be a problem.
  8. I also heard alot about this SVP thread and I think this is why people change the tube. The said JJ ecc83 s is the one you should choose