Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

V-Twin or Bottle Rocket for overdrive channel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silky smoove, Jan 19, 2005.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This might be better placed in the effects forum, but since I'd be using it as a way to achieve an overdrive channel on my Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600 I thought I'd put it in here. Mods, feel free to move it if you feel it shouldn't be here.

I've got my Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600 coming from the TB'er 57Pbass (thanks Dan!) but its lack of an overdrive channel is something that I will need to remedy ASAP. I like the idea of keeping my setup as much one-brand as possible, so Mesa/Boogie is the answer. They offer two guitar preamp/stompboxes that I think would cover my needs of an overdrive channel quite well. The Bottlerocket and the V-Twin. Both can be found on eBay for relatively cheap, and that's likely where I would buy it from when I actually go to buy (or from any TB'ers who have one for sale as well).

Which would you prefer? The V-Twin is a bit more costly, but it also has more features, but would they just go to waste if all I'm using it for is a simple overdrive channel? Can you recommend a different pedal to achieve a great tube overdrive (I would prefer to stay Mesa/Boogie, but am quite open to other suggestions)? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    just a little bump.....

3. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    well, i've been through many different OD/distortion pedals over the last few years trying to find what i'm looking for. i've been regularly using a boss MT-2(with the gain knob broken off and turned all the way up) i'm borrowing from our guitar player and he's using the Mesa bottlerocket i bought to go into my m-pulse 600 for the same reason you're looking. i need a more "metal-y", grinding type distortion so the bottlerocket didn't do it for me. I also talked the guys at the Indy GC to let me take a used V-twin to the bass room and hook up and it didn't really fare any better for my tastes(or lack thereof). but, since they didn't have a 600 down there for me to try it with, i ran it through a swr.
    i'm kinda curious about this myself, has anyone here used the rackmount v-twin and ran it through the FX loop on your head? i' also like to have an all-mesa setup, but so far the pedal's haven't done if for me.
    i just keep going back to the MT-2 after every returned pedal i've bought and tried out.

4. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^Well, I'm not necessarily looking for all-out metal distortion, just a nice bit of crunch and grind to add to my tone when one of my band's songs gets reasonabley heavy. How would you compare the tone differences between the bottle rocket and the v-twin pedals? Was there any noticeable drop in the lower frequency output with either pedal?

5. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    well, the bottlerocket basically sounds like the "blues" setting on the v-twin, not a really heavy distortion, so it may suit your needs. i'd suggest trying to find one used a shop and plug in.

6. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    If you are willing to go outside of Mesa, get the Sans Amp RBBI or BDI. I use one strictly as an overdrive unit and as far as I am concerned, nothing else out there touches it. And I have tried a ton of different things through the same rig.

7. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    XbradX: Thanks for the help! I've been trying to find one (of either) in a shop for some time now, but have been unsuccessful thus far. I'll keep looking, I hate buying things sight unseen, but I may just have to buy one used off the 'bay and keep my fingers crossed.

renfeld: I actually own a Sansamp BDDI, but my concern was that once I get the M-Pulse that running the Sansamp with it would be a little too muddy. I'll give it a try, I guess my premonition of what I THOUGHT it will sound like got the best of me on this one.

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Forget all the pedals and add-ons. Pick up a Mesa Big Block and make me a deal on the 600.

9. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Well, I got a chance to try the BB 750 and it lacked some of the features on the 600 that I really wanted. Specifically the footswitchable EQ, and the built in compression. I thought it would simply be easier to add a distortion/overdrive unit in after the fact to the 600 then it would to buy the necessary EQ and compression units to make the BB750 do the things I wanted. It all worked out because the TB'er 57Pbass happened to be selling a 600, so I jumped on the opportunity.