V-Type reliability issues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VtypeV4, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Ive had my V4 (newer version) for just under twelve months now and ive replaced every fuse at least twice. Ive spoke t gavin at GM Audio from who the unit was purchased and he has told me to put bigger fuses in on occasions, some even double the ratings! I love the amp but its reliability is becoming a serious issue.The final straw was when a valve plate decided to glow and take a valve fuse out. After replacement, its been fine. The bias is steady too. Anyone had similar experiences with the later generation V-Types (V4 & V8) or even the earlier ones? The amp doesnt get used lots but at least once a week, it doesnt get driven hard either, its driven into a Peavey 410TVX by either my Warwick Streamer LX or my '75 re-issue Fender Jazz.

Ive threatened with replacement too, an Ampeg SVT or Hiwatt Custom 400.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I bought an old type V4 in 2000 and sold it to Paul A in 2004 having had no problems at all. I'm actually looking for one or a V6 as I think I made a mistake selling it.

Hope you fix it, try stamping your foot at it. At least you get a bump for techy types. Phsyco's good at this stuff.
  3. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I'm a V6 owner that has had no problems since the first year of ownership when a tube went bad. Other than that, in four years, it's been a dream. And unless it starts going south on a regular basis, I imagine it will be my main amp for many more years.

I spoke with Chris Maresh after an Eric Johnson gig this Spring -- he was using a new Fender 800 Pro solid state amp and 8-10 bin -- and asked him about the V8. (For those unaware, the Trace rig was his standard for quite a while). He told me that he finally had to dump it because it was always tanking. Too much time in the shop. Both he and Eric missed the fab tone, but the reliability made him switch. Besides, Fender was MORE than happy to oblige Chris because he is quite a devoted Fender bass-man.

It's not enough to make me dump the V6, but it gives me pause. Let's face it, it would be awfully hard to give up that tone -- because I don't know of any other amp that does that thing quite as well as the Trace. On the other hand, shelling out mega-bux just to keep an amp running is crazy. I may be nuts, but I'm not crazy.
  4. I would go for a Hiwatt Custom 400, you almost never see those over here. And if its a Dave Reeves era amp you should never have a problem with it.
  5. You've either got a bad power tube or a power tube that needs a bias adjustment and HAS needed it as long as you've had the amp. I recommended you to get it checked out the first time you posted about it blowing fuses. It's not the amp's fault.
  6. Cheers folks, it does sound great and as posted, they are great, sounds like the first generation of these swines were better than the next...
  7. Just to add a bit to PBG's comments... I know of a few other last-generation VType amp owners who had similar fuse issues. A proper retubing and bias adjustment solved the problem in almost all cases.

One other had a bad solder joint on one of the cheap@ss internal fuse sockets. This was easy to spot because a small amount of the wiring had actually burned away, so you would certainly know if this was your problem. Since fixing that issue the amp has been stable.

Best of luck!