Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VA/DC/MD Band Support Group Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DougP, Aug 29, 2004.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I am posting this in the hopes that others here who live in the VA/DC/MD area will follow suit. i really enjoy live music and meeting others from this board so this is what I propose :

1. post your band name and website link if you have one.
    2. keep this thread updated with current activities of your bands, i.e. gigs, demos, etc
    3. this is all in an effort to support local bands and especially those bands who have members here on TB.

ok, i'll start. i just got into a newly formed band called American Sinner. we are still looking for a guitarist, but we hope to start gigging within the next few months. The style of music we play is sort of a mix between alternative country, bluegrass, folk rock, murder ballads, and a sprig of uniqueness. Our website is www.americansinner.com

on the website are some demos that the singer put together while he was looking for other players. Once we have our missing 4th member in place, we will rerecord the demos to a more professional quality.

i know there are other places throughout the forums where everyone posts most of this info, but i miss alot of it since it is scattered around.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just thought I'd let you know. After the VA/MD/DC get-together I built a website for something like what you are talking about. It's not complete by any means, but it functions.

www.dcbassplayer.com

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    ah ha! very cool. maybe this will work to some degree in the interim. or at the very least as a pointer for others.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'll be playing tonight (Monday August 30) at Jammin' Java in Vienna at about 10:00PM with my friend Kevin Maney http://www.kevinmaney.com/ . We'll be playing 4 of his originals and a surprising cover tune. Come on out if you can! I'll be jammin' on my big Tacoma acoustic, man I love that bass more every time I pick it up. :cool:

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Cool, thats right around the corner from me almost. i need to check that place out anyways.

6. Cool. I'm in the DC area for a few days (Mon-Th) and was going to start a thread asking if any area TB'ers are gigging weeknights. Anyone else?

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    BTW, I'll be performing at the Fox Chase Tavern in Great Falls/Sterling on Sept. 4.

www.foxchasetavern.com

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Fox Chase is a blast. my roommates band has played there a few times and it gets packed with the party crowd who are returning from DC around 11 - midnight.

i'll be in Chicago this weekend though.

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I'll be in Bethesda at the Rock Bottom Brewery this Saturday. 10pm start

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oops I'll be backpacking in the mountains Sept. 4. :ninja:

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Good show Phil. i was going to hang out to introduce myself, but i didnt know how long you would be in the back. The guy that went on right before didnt seem like a happy camper for getting to only due two songs.

what kind of strings are you using on the Tacoma?

"Cause I'm 40!" excellent work :bassist:

12. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    Anybody ever play any of the Pasadena/Glen Burnie places ? Brass Rail, Anchor Inn, etc.

13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I played the Anchor Inn and a place called the Wooden Nickel back in the 80's. I've played Crossroads, Lightning Jacks, Brewsters, and some place way at the end of Nabbs Creek where they had bikini contests on Sundays. That's all I can think of for now.

14. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow thanks for coming out! The Jammin' Java "open mic night" is very hit-or-miss, and every time I've been there there has been at least one totally off-the-wall maniac. No problem with that, but the audience doesn't always know what to do with it. Kevin's songs are very lyrically clever, and the technology angle is interesting. Also, he includes humor which is unusual and needed.

Did you see Pat Wictor the slide guitarrist and his friends? Great stuff there!

The strings ont he Tacoma are LaBella black nylon tapewound strings, they were recommended by some talkbassers. How did the Tacoma sound out in the audience? It's tough to tell on stage.

15. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    it sounded very well. the bass mixed in nicely and had great tone.

i didnt see anyone play slide, i got there about 9:45 or so and walked in when the guitarist and the bongo (i think) drummer was on their last song.