1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VA/NC Bassists GTG, with poll!

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by neurotictim, Sep 13, 2008.

What's the best date for the next GTG?

Poll closed Sep 20, 2008.
  1. Sunday, October 19th, 3-6pm

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Sunday, October 26th, 3-6pm

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Pumpkins!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hey all, Dave H (from Alpha Music) and I have been conspiring to put together a GTG for the Hampton Roads/NE NC bassists, and it's time for a poll to decide the date.

We've got a solid location - Holiday's at the Beach, a restaurant on 5th and Atlantic in Virginia Beach. It's a nice little spot, capacity of about 90 "shoulder to shoulder." It's an "L" shaped room, with a stage in the center, and should be perfect for us. They're currently only open on Fridays and Saturdays i nthe off-season, but we can rent the place for a Sunday GTG, and going by past responses, that seems to be the best bet.

Since we'd be renting the place for a "private party," we'll be the only ones there. :D

So anyway, the dates we're shooting for are October 19th or October 26th - please vote on what works best for you, and let us know if you're coming out - the more people, the better. Poll closes in one week, so we can make preparations, so get to it soon.

I'm raffling off my latest project bass - a refinished and upgraded SX SPB-62. :hyper: There will be a thread on this bass when it's complete - as of right now I'm still finishing it. The tickets for the raffle will be $20, you can buy as many as you like. All proceeds will go to the GTG. If we cover the $300 we need for rental, I'll give the rest to Dave and get some "door prize" type stuff.

Thanks, and we'll see you there!

2. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    Very cool :)

3. Plunky6

Plunky6

Dec 4, 2006
    Virginia Beach
    Very, Very, Cool, I'm there, thanks Tim

4. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    I just might have to come and win your bass.

5. The SX refin is going nicely - it's gone through several iterations, but I think I've settled on what I wanna do - black metal flake with prism topcoat, matching headstock, blocked and bound neck, black p/g and hardware. Take my word for it, it's gonna be a real looker, and a real player.

I'm still waiting on the Alumitones Precision pup from Lace, but the pickup alone will make it more than worth at $20 ticket.

6. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Hey, count me in there......

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

As of this moment.........I'm in. (For the 19th. that is)

8. Just to whet your appetites, perhaps, photos of the refin in the final stages... It's definitely not for everyone, :bag: but I went through about three different ideas before I settled on this one. Great giggin' bass, I think.

Unless you're in direct light, the bass looks like that "Anthracite Metallic" that Dodge uses - "gunmetal" is what Heather calls it.

IMG_0192.

Turn it to the side, so that you can catch the light, and BAM:
    IMG_0193.

Up close, it's even cooler:
    IMG_0203.

And what would a custom refinish be without a custom logo?
    IMG_0199.

The logo is completely under the finish, smooth to the touch... Note the "SX" logo.
    IMG_0198.

This will be the bass up for raffle at the GTG - but you don't have to keep the body. If all you want is the pup (Lace Alumatone Precision) then I'll be happy to take the body back.

:bassist:

9. Come to think of it, I haven't got a clue what I'm going to do for a pickguard... B/W/B? W/B/W? Someone give me some ideas...

10. Wow, a hundred views and only 6 people have voted?

...Is it the sparkles...?

:bag:

11. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Either one is equally good/bad. I honestly have no preference. Sounds like a great time. I'll check to see if I can come out. Thanks a bunch.

12. Bumpity for my local peeps.

13. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Dave! Or should I say Plunky6! I hope I can make it guys.

14. Poll closes tomorrow, and I hope the number of replies isn't indicative of the number of people planning on showing up... :/

15. Plunky6

Plunky6

Dec 4, 2006
    Virginia Beach
    guys, as soon as we get a firm date for the GTG, I will firm up with the club and let all the guys that don't :atoz:subscribe to talkbass ( what a shame ) know about our meeting. So keep your hopes up, we will still have a good GTG, plunky6 is on the case!

16. So it looks as though we've decided on the 19th. :D

Time to set everything up. For a bit of an update on the SX refin/raffle bass:

IMG_0204.

IMG_0211.

IMG_0208.

I'm going to get new knobs, black screws, and a new pickguard (I chewed this one up a little bit trying to use it as a routing template), and get some sound clips with the stock SX pups.

I've got a set of Quarter-Pounders I'm going to put in, and then get clips of, and (when they arrive) the Lace pups.

:bassist:

17. Plunky6

Plunky6

Dec 4, 2006
    Virginia Beach
    I will start putting together the final details for the GTG Oct. 19th. See you there!:hyper:

18. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Is anyone from the Raleigh area headed up? I wouldn't mind car pooling. :eyebrow:

19. Great idea! I would love for some of the NoVA and Richmond area peeps to come on down...