Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vacation @ NYC over NYE

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by hdiddy, Dec 21, 2004.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi guys,

Looks like I'll be heading out there for the first time in my life. Woo!

I've looked at a buncha online calendars (like Village Vanguard, Birland, Iridium, etc.) but it seems that the big named players that I know of have all disappeared while I'm there (12/29-1/3). The only thing I've found that I know anything about is Donny McCaslin (w/ Ben Street & Ben Monder) on 1/2 @ 55 Bar and Cassandra Wilson @ the Blue Note. I'd like to see some good bass playing if possible and the one w/ Ben Street looks good. Youse guys got any recommendations and places to look? I plan on stopping by Gage's shop (if he's open) while I'm there too.

Thanks a bunch.
    Huy

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Many people avoid NYE gigs because of the inherent ******* factor, even the Vanguard has been booking Michael White's N'awlins ish band for NYE because of the inherent "happy time" vibe.

Many others are bypassing jazz gigs for the lucrative Big Money party gigs.

I'll look around at the Voice, see if there's something I'd recommend....

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Here ya go

DEC 29
    JAZZ GALLERY - Roy Hargrove w/ Ugonna Okegwo
    SWEET RHYTHM - Tim Lyddon w/ Tom Hubbard
    JAZZ STANDARD - Christian McBride Group w/Geoff Keezer, Terreon Gulley and Ron Blake
    ZINC BAR - Nilson Matta and Brazilian Voyage
    CLEOPATRA'S NEEDLE - Helen Sung/ she usually uses David Ephross

DEC 30
    repeat of Roy H. and Christian
    LE JAZZ AU BAR - Shirley Horn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SWEET RHYTHM - Mark Sherman w/Phil Palombi
    repeat of Nilson

DEC 31
    KITANO - Joe Farnsworth & Friends - generally Jon Webber on bass!!
    FAT CAT - Chris Byars Octet - generally Neal Miner !!!!!!!!!!! on bass

And of course the day AFTER you leave you could have caught the Eric Reed Trio with Buster Williams and Al Foster...

4. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Whoah! CMB!!! I'm all over dat! Thanks Ed, I knew I could count on you! :D

I don't feel so bad about missing Buster after I leave since I just saw him play at Yoshi's last week for $10. Can't complain. :)

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Don't pass up the chance to catch either Ogunna (I'm not sure how much he tours, I know he went out with Dave Berkman's last record) or Shirley Horn (cause, unfortunately, she ain't gonna be around forever).
    Tom Hubbard is a great player, was with Freddy Cole for a million years and is just the greates cat.

And if Neal is with chris Byars, you GOTTA catch him.

6. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Thats true, since McBride is younger and tends to come out to california every year. I might as well see guys that are going to be rare in the west coast. Thanks again!

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Ed - Just wanted to thank you again for the suggestions. My trip to NYC was alot of fun I got to see some great shows.

I saw Donny McCaslin @ the 55 and that was pretty cool, especially getting to see Ben Monder & Ben Street. Adam Cruz was good on the drums too.

I made it to the Chris Byars show on NYE and that was pretty good, but Ari Roland was playing bass instead of Neal Miner. He arco'ed every solo he got and he seemed like a great player.

The Roy Hargrove w/ Ogunna was the AWESOMEST! And just when I thought it was too good, Clark Terry shows up and it got even better! Now I'll have to check out all of those cats. For you guys who've never been there, the Jazz Gallery was an amazingly intimate environment (at least for this NYC virgin - well not so virgin anymore). My girlfriend and I sat 2nd row and it felt like they were playing in someone's garage or something. The place only seats like 40 people if that.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Da nada, sorry we dint get a chance to hook up.

9. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    The Jazz Standard seems to be picking up more steam of late. While they're closed this week (first week of the new year is always a "down" period) you can pretty much count on a good time over there (www.jazzstandard.net).

Of course, I'm kinda partial since my son is a waiter there. He's also drummer in a popular punk band and I'm hoping the jazz genre rubs off! Since I work about 4 blocks away, the place is becoming a cool hang for me, too. The barbecue'd food is both a blessing and a curse as well. Heck, I just can't resist!

Last week, CMB appeared the whole week, with one night ending in an open blues jam with everyone on stage (and audience folks) taking turns singing all sorts of blues tunes (or as close as they could come to getting it right) Absolutely hilarious!

CMB is really a nice guy, the real deal. Maybe I'll hire him to host the next house party we have!?