1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vacation: USA, summer 2009

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by aleksander_sk, Sep 11, 2008.

1. aleksander_sk

aleksander_sk

Mar 6, 2007
    Well, next summer me and three other friends are going on a road-trip-like-vacation in the US.

We're from Norway, so I need some tips on where to find good stores, events, etc.

Our trip is basicly this:
    - New York: 4-5 days
    - Fly to San Fransisco
    - Rent a car and ride south to LA
    - From there we're going to Las Vegas
    - And back to San Fran from Las Vegas

The trip is planned to take about a month.

It would be great to get some tips.

2. A real roadtrip would be from coast to coast, the long way round! :smug:

I want to do that someday...I will be watching this thread with interest :)

3. aleksander_sk

aleksander_sk

Mar 6, 2007
    I know. We thought about it, but figured that the US is a bit bigger than our small Norwegian country, so we didn't dare to go all the way the first time.

But please give me some tips. I want to get the most out of my month there.

4. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Lake Tahoe.

Great place to go anytime in the year. It can get pretty busy around winter (skiers), but otherwise it is nice. Bring sunscreen if you go, it's pretty high above sea-level so you get burnt in like 2 minuets. There are some good restaurants there.

5. As for San Francisco, here are some ideas without detail...google for details:

For the city itself, I could provide specific restaurants, clubs, bars, sites, and other info if needed. PM me right before you leave when you know how much time you have in the actual city.

3.5 hours east is Lake Tahoe - look it up, great lake in the Sierra Nevadas. Outdoors activities and gambling on the state line if that's your bag.

30 minutes north is Napa/Sonoma, which is wine country. This is the USA's premier wine region and can be a great day trip of wine tasting in a beautiful area.

1.5 hours south is the Santa Cruz Mountains. Beautiful redwood forests with ferns. You can also see this just north of SF, over the Golden Gate Bridge, at Muir Woods. Remember the Return of The Jedi scene where they are zipping through the forest on a chase? This type of forest.

2+ hours south is Monterey which has a great aquarium. Carmel is a cool little town for lunch. Pebble Beach is also right there.

South of Monterey is Big Sur which is amazing coast line and a magical place in general. Look it up.

6. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Ooo I forgot about Napa. Good suggestion.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    A Big +1!! Most beautiful place I've ever seen! Just make sure you get out of the Sierra's by late October!

(Google "The Donner Party" if you don't get the reference.)

8. aleksander_sk

aleksander_sk

Mar 6, 2007
    Thanks for all the tips.

I should have said this in the first post. We'll be traveling from mid june to mid july. Hopefully a week earlier start than mid june, but it depends on exams and so forth.

I was thinking about purchasing some effect pedals since they are less than half the price in the US compared to Norway. Any good stores?

9. queenofpain1

queenofpain1

Feb 16, 2011
    Jones Beach Long Island would be a good vacation spot in New York or maybe Montauk. Bar Beaches might be a good idea. The Hamptons Palisades is another great place too. I've never been in USA but I'd love to spend some time over there for a holiday. We've been only to places in Asia and hopefully by the next summer me and my family could actually have some time and money to go to USA and have fun.

You can also try to check for vacation packages which might suit your preference here:
    http://www.plazatravel.com/

10. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    Since you have a car and will be in the bay area, i highly recommend driving a bit north of the city, about 45 min to the sebastapol/occidental/bodega bay area. Really beautiful beaches, fun small-town atmosphere, and the most wonderful bread in a place called freestone.

11. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    [​IMG]

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Check the original post date. :D

-Mike

13. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    oops

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The pictures must have been developed by now.