Vacuum dried wood???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benbass, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    I just read an old article with Jens ritter. He said something about how they have a new process of drying wood for instruments that is better than letting it sit or heating it up. Any one have any details on this? Does it really work that well? Here's the quote...

"I will tell you something about the woods first. For good tone you need to dry the wood for 10 years. Companies like Ibanez or Yamaha are not able to dry their woods ten years. They do it in two months. In a room which they heat up. This is not the best for the wood, because it affects of the dynamic of the wood on the inside. So the people say, dried wood in two months, it could not be good. So for instruments you can just use old woods. I disagree. There is a new process, an absolutely great wood drying process and it takes JUST A FEW DAYS! They don’t heat the wood, they use a vacuum. They pull the moisture out with that vacuum. So the moisture level of the wood is equal on the inside and the outside. It’s so perfect, it’s much better than a wood even dried 20 years. Some bass players cannot believe that this can be true. But I love it because the wood is harmoniously dried. And you have a real good tone. If you either heat up the wood or you dry it you have different moisture levels & the grain of the wood warps on the inside."
  2. 4 out of 5 termite's say that, Vacuum dried wood is yummy:)

3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The article is interesting but I tend not to believe statements that use terms like "harmoniously dried" and "internal dynamics of wood".

Wood that has the proper moisture content equally dispersed within the wood is ready to be used and it matters very little whether it's air dried or vacuum dried.

Any method that removes the moisture content in just a few days is going to yield a potentially unstable piece of wood.

4. It'd be interesting to compare basses made out of these different dried woods in 20 years time or so, see how they've stood up to time.
  5. I'm with you here guy! It further confuses me that for the first part of his statement, he insists that wood should be dried for 10 years to gain the desirable tone, then contradicts that in the last part. So which is it Jens?? And why do people automatically assume that drying wood with heat means heating it up like your cooking? It just isn't so. In fact, most pro luthiers have their own methods of drying, seasoning and storing woods that utilize elevated temps (100º +) but these aren't damaging to the wood in any way. It just accelerates the release of the moisture. As for "internal dynamics" - how does that relate to the formerly "internal" wood when it is re-sawn and what was formerly inside becomes the outside?
  6. I'm assuming the fifth one likes Luthite? :D
  7. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Hehe luthite! This is exactly why I asked. I guess I'm skeptical about the whole idea.