Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vadim Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pilotjones, Apr 2, 2002.

1. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Has anyone had any experience with these? It is a small luthier from Toronto. His website is http://www.welcome.to/vadimhandmadebasses .
    One of these has found its way into the local GC. It is the bass on the entry page of the website.

It is absolutely stunning!

It is marked used, but the salesmorons say that it is actually new, but since it was wholesale purchased directly instead of through GC corporate, they can only generate a "used" tag. I can't comment on the sound because the B-string on it is completely dead, so I didn't even plug it in.

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    All I know about Vadim is that Orin Isaacs (from Open Mike with Mike Bullard) uses them, so you can hear what it sounds like on the show.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hello Pilotjones,Vadim is a very talented luthier,his company is a one man show.but he places the finest of craftsmanship into each of his basses.each Vadim I have played were nice some, each one had its own flavor.they cut thru,and seem to me,to be quite versatile.Vadim's are like most highend basses,you just have to find the one that moves you.the bass is interesting,as well as Vadim himself.for a very good refrence Orin Isaacs has a very funky CD out using various Vadims.Vadims are the only basses he's using.the tone is clear and funky.
    I cant speak for you but I dont think you will be disapointed with the purchase of the CD or the bass if the price is right.Vadims run in the range as a MTD, Warrior,custom Conklin.Ken Smith,etc.
    JAUQO III-X

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've played a couple Vadims and they appear to be top-notch. The ones I played have a sort of tone that's really conducive to pop/slap styles. I know he does custom stuff sometimes too. Also I gotta respect a fellow Torontonian!

5. Hey I have one of those! jsut got it on the March Break! I know the Guy Vadim and the dealer Paul! ( Pauls a good friend of mine) THe Vadim is amazing! it is the greatest bass i have ever heard and played! the quality is unbelievable! I would show you the picture of mine but the size of the photo is too big... But yeah for sure Vadim makes the greatest basses you can buy!

take it from me, a very, very, very, very satisfied customer!

and also, our currency is horrible! take note of that!:D

6. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
  7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    How did GC Rochester get one of these? What's the price on it? Who was the SALESMORON you talked to?

Yours Truly,
    Salesmoron Adam, GC Mayfield, OH

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The bass has a Used tag on it. The price, last time I was able to see the tag (see below), was $3695.The story I got from two different salespeople (sorry for my former insensitivity, I have yet to find some one there who isn't friendly but clueless) was:
    1. it was purchased directly into the store, new.
    2. They can't do a "new" tag unless it was purchased by normal means through their regular channels, so they HAD to print a "used" tag.

Rojo, con you confirm these the possibility of the first point, and the accuracy of the second?
    The reason I think it might be used are
    • the dead B string
    • the fretboard looks like something was spilled on it
    • the "used" price tag
    • the unlikeliness that this caliber of one-off bass would be purchased by a GC, or maybe especially by this GC
    I played it twice, twice I pointed out the dead string. No action taken. The sad thing is that this beautiful instrument sat on the wall of the bass room for a few months, unsellable because the bad strings make it sound like crap, and has since been moved to the "dead zone" up near the ceiling on the wall ouside the bass room, where it is basically invisible.

Unfortunately, I don't get that show in the States. Or in Rochester, anyway.

9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, the part about used tags is almost correct. If the store buys a piece of gear in a manner of not going through corporate hq, they have to buy it as a used item in the system. They could tag it as new if they knew how, it's not tough. The "tag" and the "SKU" are two different things.
    We have a Soldano guitar amp in our store which is new from the factory, but tagged as used. It happens in these stores. And people who think that's shady, how about smaller music stores that sell USED gear tagged as NEW.

As for them not changing the strings... well, that's probably just laziness. If you feign serious interest in it, someone will probably do it. Talk to Wade if you really want to, he's an assistant manager and a great guy.

Wade also owns a small shop that isn't affiliated with GC. He may have gotten one for his shop as a special order that may have been cancelled and he then sold it to GC. He does stuff like that to get more interesting gear at GC (imagine that).

And is the price tagged the list price of those basses? WOW! I bet they'd happily sell it for 70% of that if that is the case. Make em an offer.

And no real offense... for $5.25 an hour, these stores don't tend to get rocket scientists. Every once in a wjile they get a gearhead like me though.
    :)

Wait... $5.25
    :mad: