Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vague Fender I.D.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tristan, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I found an American Fender bass on some local classifieds for a very good price. It was described simply as a JP bass. I phoned and the woman assured me it was american made and when I asked what the model was she simply said "Jazz Precision". She also said she bought it in the early 90s. Is there such a model as a "Jazz Precision"? If not, what were the MIA fenders of the era with PJ config?

The reason I'm so curious is cause I have to go to a storage place to check it out that is kinda far so i wanna make sure it's worth my while.

2. It's gotta be a P bass with a J PUP on the bridge position.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well.. i don't think the woman really knows much about the bass.. but yes. But most people would call refer to this bass as a P&J style bass (at least I do anyway). So yeah. It has a Precision Pups and one Jazz pickup closer to the bridge... I like this pickup configuration... What is the price???? when you check the bass... make sure it says made in america on it

4. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm sure it is a PJ config. the price is $400 CDN negotiable or less than $300 US. I will definitely be inspecting this one...

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    wowzers! what a beauty!:rolleyes:

7. I hate to be the dissident, but...

I had one for a few years. I came to find out that it is USA only in name - it is made of foreign parts then assembled in USA. IMO The Pups are junk, the fretwork is passable but other than that its tolerable. i sold mine for $150. I have seen others for around $2-300 USD. Mine played the best out of all the ones i have touched (which has been a few), if that says anything. There are better basses for the same money, if i may opine :D

As one reported on the review site mentiond above, If it feels good to you....

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego