1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vail Johnson solo video from 1986 playing a white Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by anonymous101511, Apr 30, 2009.

1. anonymous101511

anonymous101511 Guest

Mar 5, 2001
    Dean Markley Strings, Xotic Basses, Kubicki Basses
    ok, here's some OLD footage that has surfaced online.
    The title is incorrect, this is actually 1986 on the German TV program Ohne Filter.
    Enjoy!

2. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    Great Stuff!:D

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    You play great Vail!
    I really liked the clip on Arsenio Hall too.

best,
    Laurence

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. that's a great solo man. was that a stock jazz? sounded really "Active" - really good.

5. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Definitely my kind of solo (I only wish mine were half as good). Great use of dynamics and space.

6. anonymous101511

anonymous101511 Guest

Mar 5, 2001
    If I recall, I had EMG's in there..
    I gave that bass to our departing tour manager after that tour, so I can't really remember. Switched to Kubicki shortly after

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Smart move :smug:;)

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hey, Vail. Hope all is well. The wife is still smiling! Hey were you using alternate tunings back then?

9. anonymous101511

anonymous101511 Guest

Mar 5, 2001
    nope, just a regular old bass.

10. Yeah, very active sound indeed. I've never heard a J sound this good! (ie., so much like a Kubicki!). No suprise Vail went to Kubicki soon after this: If this was the sound he was after, it had to have been MUCH easier to get it from Kubickis than Fenders. That is THE slap tone. You're a monster, Vail. A big ol' grinnin', slappin' dancin' monster! When the old parachute pants go on eBay, I want 'em!

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to agree that the switch to Kubicki was a great move. The tone is killer. Guys, check his Myspace, he has a CD of Beetles tunes done Smooth Jazz style with lots of slapped bass, and it is killer! I'm glad you have posted the last few days. I forgot what monster you are!:bassist:

12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Killer tone Vail.
    Agree on the modern jazz tone. Nice find.

13. chnapz

chnapz

Aug 6, 2007
    France
    Hey Vail ! What a pleasure too see another one of your videos online. Thanks for sharing it with us. I was wondering, do you ever play the upright as well ?

14. anonymous101511

anonymous101511 Guest

Mar 5, 2001
    I did for a time, though I struggled with the difference in feel, making my electric playing seem somewhat awkward; I just play electric upright now, though with 34 or 35" scale so the switch is easy.

15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Great solo, I agree totally about the very musical use of space and dynamics in there. And very grooving Jazz bass tone. I have a white MIM Jazz with EMGs on it and it's been the bass I usually keep flats on for a while now. I think I'm going to stick some nice new Rotosound swing bass rounds on there tomorrow and give it some playing time, it hasn't had much use lately.

16. Jato

Jato

Nov 2, 2000
    I still love watching Vail layin' it down on that Arsenio Hall Show vid clip.
    Thank God for YouTube!

:cool: :bassist:

S.
    j

17. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Sweet:):):)