Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Valenti #005 review and thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Wilson, Mar 13, 2005.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I received this bass two weeks ago from Nino, just in time to do a gig with it. Thanks to Nino for getting it together in time, I know he was frantically waiting on some parts coming in.

specs:
    Swamp Ash Body
    Transparent Blue Finish
    Maple neck with Maple fretboard
    Satin Finish on neck
    Nordstrand NP4 Precision Pickup
    Aguilar OBP-1 preamp
    Controls: volume, bass, treble
    Hipshot HB-1 Tuning Keys
    Gotoh Quick Release Bridge
    Black Pearl Pickguard
    Black Hardware

Upon receipt, I gave it a good check over. Frets were good, fret edges were smooth, and neck was straight. Action was a little high for my liking, so I took it down a touch.

Removing the pickguard revealed a very neat and tidy compartment, having seen Nino's previous work I expected nothing less. Leads were taped together in logical groups, and wires cut to sensible lengths.

I'm a big fan of the Nordstrand P pickup, so I was very happy to see it on this bass. The Nord P has a great classic precision thump sound, but also a great open frequency response range. The bass was strung with Sadowsky Stainless Steel strings, which I hadn't heard before but I immediately liked them. Nino thoughtfully included a set of Sadowsky Bright Nickel strings also, I tried them briefly but didn't keep them on long (I'm a Stainless Steel kind of guy).

Wearing the bass, it balanced very well with no neck dive. The weight was very good, at 8.5 pounds. The neck felt slightly thinner than a usual P neck, but Nino assures me it's a standard Warmoth P neck.

The blue stain finish is very cool; blue is my favorite color, so that didn't hurt my initial favorable impressions either :) The only two things I'd comment on physically were the pickguard and battery cover. I didn't love the looks of the black pearl pickguard, and the battery cover was made out of the same pickguard material. I know Nino was going for a cool pickguard-matching-battery-cover look, but it didn't float my boat. But maybe it's just me, and everyone else will love it.

I took the bass to a gig that night, with a covers band I play with on the side. We do everything from James Brown to Gang of Four to ACDC to Joy Division. So, a good range of music to try it out on. I used it for the first two sets.

Sonically, the bass didn't disappoint. With the stainless steel strings, I got a nice thumpy sound with great definition using either pick or fingers.
    I never had any cause to use the treble boost at all; maybe I would if I used nickel strings. The Aguilar OBP-1 is my favorite two band preamp, but I think a tone control would be useful on this bass. Having used the Raven Labs PBR-1 PBass preamp previously, I loved the way it reduced the highs when you boosted the lows. I'm sure Nino was trying to keep the controls pretty simple, but I'd have liked vol, bass/treble, and tone controls

Playabilty was very good, I had no problems doing some of the more demanding material despite my minimal setup time.

Overall: a quality bass, definitely one of the best P's I've heard / played. I'm not in love with the P sound enough to have a P bass around, but I'm a big fan of P/J basses and if this was a P/J bass I'd be having a hard time sending it back...

Pros:
    • Thunderous sounding P Bass
    • Good balancing, good weight, good looks

Cons:
    • no active/passive switch currently
    • Black pearl p/g not to my taste visually
    • Would have liked a tone control

I can't think of anything else for now, if anyone has any questions ask away.

Attached Files:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    more pics

Attached Files:

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Dave :) , Is this the Bass we saw at the NYC Get Together?.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its cool to see these reviews comming up.

I wanted to comment and say that the passive tone control in addition to the OPB-1 is a great option that Im loving on my 5 string and will probably add to my 4 string. It ads tons of versatility even though I usually dont always need it.

5. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    man nino, when it comes time for me to get a custom bass done, i know who to come to. All of your basses look great, and hopefully within a year, i can place an order!

6. This bass is in California now. Stay tuned....

7. Very nice, David. :)

Very nice, Nino. ;)

Hopefully we can have another get-together this year.

Mike

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds Good lets make it a go. :hyper: