Valenti #005 review and thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Wilson, Mar 13, 2005.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I received this bass two weeks ago from Nino, just in time to do a gig with it. Thanks to Nino for getting it together in time, I know he was frantically waiting on some parts coming in.

Swamp Ash Body
    Transparent Blue Finish
    Maple neck with Maple fretboard
    Satin Finish on neck
    Nordstrand NP4 Precision Pickup
    Aguilar OBP-1 preamp
    Controls: volume, bass, treble
    Hipshot HB-1 Tuning Keys
    Gotoh Quick Release Bridge
    Black Pearl Pickguard
    Black Hardware

Upon receipt, I gave it a good check over. Frets were good, fret edges were smooth, and neck was straight. Action was a little high for my liking, so I took it down a touch.

Removing the pickguard revealed a very neat and tidy compartment, having seen Nino's previous work I expected nothing less. Leads were taped together in logical groups, and wires cut to sensible lengths.

I'm a big fan of the Nordstrand P pickup, so I was very happy to see it on this bass. The Nord P has a great classic precision thump sound, but also a great open frequency response range. The bass was strung with Sadowsky Stainless Steel strings, which I hadn't heard before but I immediately liked them. Nino thoughtfully included a set of Sadowsky Bright Nickel strings also, I tried them briefly but didn't keep them on long (I'm a Stainless Steel kind of guy).

Wearing the bass, it balanced very well with no neck dive. The weight was very good, at 8.5 pounds. The neck felt slightly thinner than a usual P neck, but Nino assures me it's a standard Warmoth P neck.

The blue stain finish is very cool; blue is my favorite color, so that didn't hurt my initial favorable impressions either :) The only two things I'd comment on physically were the pickguard and battery cover. I didn't love the looks of the black pearl pickguard, and the battery cover was made out of the same pickguard material. I know Nino was going for a cool pickguard-matching-battery-cover look, but it didn't float my boat. But maybe it's just me, and everyone else will love it.

I took the bass to a gig that night, with a covers band I play with on the side. We do everything from James Brown to Gang of Four to ACDC to Joy Division. So, a good range of music to try it out on. I used it for the first two sets.

Sonically, the bass didn't disappoint. With the stainless steel strings, I got a nice thumpy sound with great definition using either pick or fingers.
    I never had any cause to use the treble boost at all; maybe I would if I used nickel strings. The Aguilar OBP-1 is my favorite two band preamp, but I think a tone control would be useful on this bass. Having used the Raven Labs PBR-1 PBass preamp previously, I loved the way it reduced the highs when you boosted the lows. I'm sure Nino was trying to keep the controls pretty simple, but I'd have liked vol, bass/treble, and tone controls

Playabilty was very good, I had no problems doing some of the more demanding material despite my minimal setup time.

Overall: a quality bass, definitely one of the best P's I've heard / played. I'm not in love with the P sound enough to have a P bass around, but I'm a big fan of P/J basses and if this was a P/J bass I'd be having a hard time sending it back...

• Thunderous sounding P Bass
    • Good balancing, good weight, good looks

• no active/passive switch currently
    • Black pearl p/g not to my taste visually
    • Would have liked a tone control

I can't think of anything else for now, if anyone has any questions ask away.

Attached Files:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    more pics

Attached Files:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Dave :) , Is this the Bass we saw at the NYC Get Together?.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its cool to see these reviews comming up.

I wanted to comment and say that the passive tone control in addition to the OPB-1 is a great option that Im loving on my 5 string and will probably add to my 4 string. It ads tons of versatility even though I usually dont always need it.
  5. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    man nino, when it comes time for me to get a custom bass done, i know who to come to. All of your basses look great, and hopefully within a year, i can place an order!
  6. This bass is in California now. Stay tuned....
  7. Very nice, David. :)

Very nice, Nino. ;)

Hopefully we can have another get-together this year.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds Good lets make it a go. :hyper: