1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

valenti 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by levifly, Aug 15, 2007.

1. levifly

levifly

Nov 29, 2004
    raleigh, nc
    I have been corresponding with Nino for about a week about the possibility of ordering a 5 string bass. Previously I had been searching for a used Lakland Daryl Jones model fiver. When Nino announced he was going into bass production full time it piqued my interest in his basses. I would like to know if someone who has played both could compare the two basses for me. Nino said he could build one with similar characteristics. Also I have to decide if an american built valenti is worth the extra cash. It would run around 1900$ and the DJ would be between 1000$ and 1300$. I am hoping someone will help me make this decision. Mike

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
  3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've had both, and now have a Valenti 5 on order to go with my USA Laklands. Build quality is better on the valenti, and you can order it exactly how you want it.

4. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    +1 on the Valenti!
    I ordered #20, although I no longer own it (Sadowsky gas cause me to trade it) I certainly plan on ordering another once my other boutique orders are all paid for.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Per Smash's comments, both are great. I've only played one of Nino's basses, and it was top notch.

I am TOTALLY blown away by the DJ4 that I own. The neck profile on the 5 is a little chunky for me personally up at the nut, but other than that, they are great. The Skyline DJ's hold up quite well to my stupid expensive boutique J's.

To me, it would be mainly about active or passive. If you are looking for a very aggressive growly passive J... kind of a 70's sort of thing but even more aggressive, the DJ is hard to beat. You can put one of those J-Retro pre's in the DJ (I think), but something just doesn't sound right about it to me.... too modern... kind of 'sucks the J out of it', if that makes sense. So, IMO, I'd only consider a passive model for that particular bass.

If you are looking for a more modern, active J type thing, Nino's basses are up there with the best of them.

6. levifly

levifly

Nov 29, 2004
    raleigh, nc
    Thanks for the replys. I'm just really torn between the two. You guys are a great help. Mike

7. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    If it were me, I would get the Valenti. If I could justify it, I would have one.

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Get a Valenti... you won't regret it. Proud former owner of #008 and #027.