Valenti Bass in the works....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    ...for TB member iualum. :bassist:

The bass has:
    -5A Quilted Maple top
    -Ebony Fretboard
    -Hollowed Swamp Ash Body
    -EMG 35CS p/u's
    -Aguilar OBP-3 preamp
    -BadAss II
    -Hipshot UltraLite Keys
    -Custom p/g to iualum specs

The bass is just about finished & if the holidays weren't upon us, it would of been finished already.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sooner or later, you going to get some of my money! If that were a five, it would be perfect.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Wouldnt you wire the Obp-3 for continuously variable mids? Or am I mistaken that that is possible?
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was originally going to do that for a bass AJBrown has on order but when I spoke to the guys at Aguilar, they told me that they were unable to find a consistant supplier for that particular type of pot & I think there was something else that I can't recall off hand.

I ended up wiring this one in the "Standard" configuration with the push/pull on the volume pot.
    Mid-High 800Hz
    Mid-Low 400Hz.
  5. Nino, bass after bass your work never ceases to amaze me. Keep up the fantastic effort!

Iualum, congrats on your new bass!
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    You can do it, it's the last option on the last page of the wiring diagram PDF on the Aguilar site. The last page, strangely enough, does not come with the diagrams (printouts of the PDFs) that comes with the OBP-3, and I've seen people passing up the OBP-3 in favour of Bart pres simply because Barts had that normally and not a lot of people know you can have CVM on an OBP-3.

That bass is absolutely gorgeous. I swear to god, if I ever get another four or a five, it's gotta be a Valenti.
  7. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    It does look very nice. I am not sure however if I dig the basic black shielding paint over real copper shielding. To me it is worth the extra $8.00.
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    nino, very nice!!!!
  9. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Sicwidit. Valenti control cavities always make me happy.
  10. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    holy poop, nicest one yet. i love the pickguard and the tops stunning. beautiful bass :)
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have two Valenti basses with the black shielding paint and they are as quiet as can be. If there is a reason to go with copper tape, I havent found it.
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Very, very nice, but you already know Im a fan of your work. :D

I have a couple of questions:

1. I noticed you have two batteries in there. Why did you decide to not use the Fishman Voltage Doubler this time?

2. Are those EMG pickups the dual coils or something else?
  13. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    That's a sweet bass Nino!! Good stuff!

The pickguard kinda reminds me of a superhero mask though... kinda like the ones that the Incredibles or Robin would wear... :bag: :D But it's way cool nonetheless!
  14. This from the EMG website about the 35CS

The 35CS (Ceramic & Steel) model uses parallel placed coils like the DC but are loaded with steel. The CSís are much warmer as a result of higher inductance, have a smoother attack and a flatter high end. They are the most "Traditional" sounding of the group. 18V supply recommended. This pickup uses a 35 Extended housing that is 3.5 inches (89mm).

The OBP-3 can work in 9V or 18V operation. 18V is definitely the way to go, here.

IMO, two batteries wired in series is always better than one battery with a voltage double circuit.

I'd sure like to hear this thing. I bet it sounds big and warm. I wonder what strings iualum is gonna put on her.
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I asked because EMG offers the CS option on a few different pickups. I have the CS option on my EMG TW in the bridge position of my 5 string Valenti.
  16. I almost forgot to comment on the bass. It's BEAUTIFUL!

I love the headstock and tuners especially. And that top is MAGNIFICENT! I dig the pickguard, too.

The only thing I would have done differently was use a Hipshot quick-change bridge, but the Badass II is a great bridge, I have one on my P-Bass copy.
  17. Nino, what's the knob configuration? Nearest I can tell it it is:

(closest to neck) 1 Volume (pull for mid select)
    2 Pickup Blend
    3 Mid.
    (closest to br.) 4 treble/bass (treble inside bass outside)

Is that right?
  18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I use both paint and tape, just in case. Can't be too careful, especially when you record in front of a computer monitor all day.

Cool bass, by the way. I don't care for that big maple thing at the far end of the neck, but other than that, pretty hip.
  19. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I want one...... :bawl:

Speaking of which - Nino! You have mail! :D
  20. Let me guess...Kubicki? :confused: or perhaps Steiney? :bag: