Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Valenti P-Bass Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Mr. Valenti was nice enough to send me one of his basses to demo. I got the blue P-Bass that can be seen here:
    http://www.valentibasses.com/instock.htm

He knows I've always been a fan of P-Basses, and blue basses, so I'm glad I've had the chance to give this one a spin. I'll write some more when I have a little more time later in the week, but so far I really like it. I'm a big fan of the alder/rosewood/tone cut P-Bass thump, so the ash/maple thing is new to me. Before he shipped it to me, Nino asked if I wanted a passive tone control added, but I declined because I figured we could predict what that would sound like. But if you're interested in one of these, Nino's told me that he can have it set up with volume/passive tone (with preamp defeat)/stacked bass and treble. I think that'd be an ideal combination that wouldn't get in the way of the P-Bass' inherent simplicity.

The Nordstrand NP4 pickup sounds great! I had one in a Celinder P that I sold, but I've always been a fan of the way these pckups provide that classic P-Bass tone: complex and deep in the lows and low mids and smooth and sweet in the highs.

Everything on the bass is put together very well, with obvious attention to detail.

As I said, I'll write more soon. But as of now, I think this is an excellent way to get a customized bass of very high quality at a reasonable price. Good job Nino!

2. I used the Valenti last night on a gig for a couple of tunes. The gig didn't go too well, but the bass sounded great through my usual rig (Mesa Walkabout/Epifani 210UL). Nice and punchy. So now I can say that the Valenti is definitely gig-worthy and low maintenance. Just tune it up and play.

3. Just another note of thanks to Nino before the bass heads back to NY and then to the next test pilot.

The Valenti has been a fun bass to demo. I got a chance to try it out with the Epifani 502 amp and the clarity is amazing. With this combination, you'd be able to get a surprisingly modern, hi-fi kind of tone while still retaining the phatness of a P-Bass.

It's also worth noting that there are a bunch more options available from Nino, so it wouldn't be difficult to spec out something that would make you happy.

Thanks again Nino!
    [​IMG]

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thanks for your comments, funkyc. And props to Nino for his nice tribute to the mighty P-bass!

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    That P-bass is beautiful, I've seen in before on the Valenti site and I thought it was one of the sweetest looking precisions I've ever seen. Glad to hear it sounds as good as it looks