Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Valenti Standard Style 5 String Jazz #020 (in production)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nino Valenti, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This is a bass I'm building for ptidwell. The specs are:

Swamp Ash body
    Swamp Ash body with Natural finish
    Wenge Neck with black laminate headstock face
    Wenge Board
    Nordstrand DC5’s Dual Coil pickups
    Aguilar OBP-3
    Black Hardware
    Hipshot A Style Bridge
    Hipshot Ultralites Tuners
    Schaller Strap Locks
    Strings Sadowsky Bright Nickel

The bass will have what has become know as the Poon layout:
    1-Volume w/p/p for preamp bypass
    2-Blend
    3-Treble w/p/p for Neck position P/U for Humbucker mode to Single Coil mode
    4-Mids with w/p/p for Mid Shift
    5-Bass w/p/p for Bridge position P/U for Humbucker mode to Single Coil mode

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
  3. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
  4. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Pretty.

I've always wanted one of yours, but I've never seen them come up on the used market too often.

Maybe if you'd make one scratched up on purpose, lol.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Do I even really need to say it? My God what a beatiful bass!

I love those pickups, Nino!

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Man, nino. If I need a P or a J made, I'll definitely look you up. I like the wenge neck on that!

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Looks great, Nino

Rob

8. Wow! that's all I can say! :bassist:

I know what i'm saving up for now...:ninja:

I just hope that i don't go crazy while saving up! lol

Oh ya, Nino, how much would it cost one to get one of those b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l basses? I've probably asked you before, but I easily forget :rollno:

Anyways, just amazing!

9. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I can't wait to see a thread with MY bass under construction!!

Great work Nino.

10. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Lookin good Nino...I love the natural/ black veneer headstock look... smokin!

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Any chance that you're looking for an apprentice? :p

Seriously, I'm always amazed at the superb craftsmanship and articulate attention to detail that you seem employ when building these basses. Someday I'd like to be able to do what you do.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nino, that is another beautiful bass. I would love to see that done in a passive version.

13. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    That control cavity is immaculate! Schweet.

14. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks stellar Nino and I'm honored I get a layout named after me...:D

15. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Wow. What an awesome, clean job on the electronics, wiring, shielding and layout! I am very impressed. You do clean work Nino!

I've been jonesing for a 5 string Jazz-ish body with a decent neck profile that punches, growls and slaps with the best. (I want it all, I know) I haven't met a Fender 5'er neck that I have liked yet. They are nasty. What are the neck profiles like on your basses Nino? Do they vary, or are they 5 string neck profiles all the same? Lakland neck profiles are reasonable for my hands, as are Sadowsky's and Lull's. How do your neck profiles compare?

Those Nordie Pickups sure look sweet. Have you heard a set of them yet? Gary

16. Nino, great job as usual...

But I've got a question. Don't take this the wrong way as it's an issue that all builders should consider. I see that you are connecting the ground to the bridge. That is a potentially deadly detail should the player come in contact with another house circuit that is out of phase to the one the player's equipment is being powered by.

IMO, we small builders should NEVER do this on the off chance that the above situation could arise. Why shouldn't we do it when lots of other manufacturers do it? Because we don't carry product liability insurance as a rule and should a client be injured or killed because of the ground connection, we could be wiped out financially in an ensuing law suit for wrongful death. It isn't as far fetched as one may think. IMO, we could or should be doing everything to stop buzz short of connecting the bridge to the ground plane.

Your thoughts?

17. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Supposedly a .001 uf capacitor and 220kΩ resistor twisted inline of your bridge ground will quiet any hum and protect the user from electrocution.

18. I have to agree.

none of my basses have grounded ("earthed" for the Aussies and the Brits) bridges. They are all suitably quiet.

However, with that said, the REAL liability for electric shock to an improper earth should lie with either the amplifier manufacturer or the electrician that did the power source wiring.

Why? Because one MUST ask the question..."How did a dangerous voltage get onto the earth in the FIRST place?"

back to the bridge grounding issue...the main reason why grounding the bridge reduces noise is because the strings now act as a partial faraday cage for the pickups. Well contructed pickups or well shielded pickup cavities will ALSO aid in this aspect without putting the player in direct contact to earth.

back to the safety issue...guys, be safe...check your stuff with a reliable meter...get a power outlet tester for checking house power and please don't play if it isn't correct. Your safety is way more important than some stupid gig.

19. If I did this I'd be going for a resistor more in the 1-2Mohm range...the higher the impedence between my body and the earth, the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.