Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Valenti vs. Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, May 31, 2004.

Which new Bass Should the Poon get?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2004.
  1. Spector Re-Bop then upgrade the pickups to EMG-40's

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Spector Czech with an unfinished neck

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Spector Re-bop and just leave the pickups alone

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Valenti Natural Jazz Deluxe by our very own Nino

37 vote(s)
    68.5%
  1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    This may be an apples and oranges comparison, however it is what is going through my head right now. I'm thinking of spending maybe around $700-$800...I'm sort of poor right now, but I might sell one of my basses to get either of these babies. I'm going used for each, but i'm GASing real bad for a 5 string with some sweet EMG's in there. I could get a used RE-BOP and maybe put some EMG40's in there or I could end up getting the 5 string natural jazz by very own Nino-Brown. That guy is great at answering e-mails. But it is the dillema right now. I'm not a huge fan of the laquer finish on the Czech spectors, I like the unfinished or the satin finish that the REBOP has. I've never played a valenti, but I've heard nothing but good things and there is something sort of cool about saying I own 1 of 3 or 4 (at this time valenti's). Discuss...

2. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    spectors are rad i liek the Hz in em but ive never heard the emg 40s but i dare say it would sound to machined with all that active-ness i dunno i jsut liek a good pre amp and some classy passives

3. Get the Valenti man!

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get the Valenti. You WILL NOT be sorry! Look at it this way: Spector's a big company, and you'll be getting an assembly line bass, but with Nino, you know him. He knows you. He'll make damn sure you're happy. He doesn't have a CS "dept.", he IS CS!. Get the Valenti!

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    There's no question. A Czech Spector or any Spector for that matter will own any jazz-type instrument you throw at it. It's that simple. Plus, it's a friggin' SPECTOR! You don't NEED a day-to-day babying on the bass. Plus, I've never not heard back from Spector reps on the very same day. PJ answers emails immediately. They're easily on the same level as Mesa when it comes to customer service. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, because they're lying.

Get you a nice blueburst or natural finish NS4 or NS5, and you'll be set for life... until you want to upgrade to a US version. :bassist: :smug:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Valenti.

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think that Spector is going to give you the custom options that you could get with a Valenti.... especially for the price. I seriously doubt that Spector would provide the response that Nino would, all the way through planning, construction, and after the sale...

P@

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Have you ever talked to PJ or Stuart? Have you checked the Spector site? I gave them a nice custom USA model and had a quote for it a couple hours later. It's hard to find something that you can't have done on a Spector. If we're talking about price, though, well then of course a one/small man operation is going to be more cost effective, because it's not Spector or Sadowsky. That's like talking about a custom Jazz vs. a custom Alembic. Spector has any and every option, and the staff is second to none. But he's asking for a Czech Spector anyhow, which still has outplayed any Fenfer-style instrument I've ever played on before. Mike Lull's, Lakland, Custom Shop Jazzes, etc.. Plus, then there's the sound and tone issue, where there's no real comparison also.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Help a Talk Bass Brother out and get a Valenti :D

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Spector customer service is excellent. When I owned my 4 USA Spectors & 15+ Czech Spectors I'd call Stu direct & he's help me out, ASAP. PJ is also the man. He's helped me get Aguilar preamps a few years ago when I was working at Maggio Music in Brooklyn NY.

To say a Spector blew away every Jazz styled instrument is a very subjective opinion. As soon as I played a Sadowsky, all the Spectors I still owned eventually went on the selling block. Dosen't make them bad basses, I was just out of that phase in my bass playing career. They didn't fit me as the Sadowsky basses did.

I'd still like to get a nice Spector, either a USA NS-2J bolt on with ash body or a Re-Bop 4.

With either choice, you'll have a great bass.

11. one thing that you should consider the neck feel, from the look of the valenti basses it seems that he is using a sadowsky jazz style neck with a flat radius and full jazz spacing. (I don't know this for sure, but that's what it looks like)

the spector basses have a very different neck, it is much thicker with narrower neck and string spacing, they feel more like warwicks (but a little better in my opinion)

personally I really love spectors but have a hard time playing their 5ers because the string spacing is too tight for me and the neck feels a little thick. but I love their 4 bangers, and they do have a awesome tone. I had a euro spector 5 for a while and it was an amazing bass with tone that could cut through anything but the neck just didn't vibe well with me.

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Remember that I have nothing against Nino whatsoever, or his product. :) I don't even know the guy! I just get upset when someone makes comments or accusations about a guitar I really love when they obviously have no experience in the sort, which was sort of the case here. But I can't stand J or P or any Fenfer-style instrument, as it feels too weak, so that's my bias for ya's. :p

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Another satisfied Valenti customer here.

Rockstarbassist- With all the great things you've said about Spector Basses, I was surprised not to see one listed in the "current setup" portion of your profile.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Double negative

15. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I found this hipocritical (my spelling skills suck,) I don't disagree that spector makes great basses but I fail to see he comparison. Have you played a Valenti? I haven't, so I can't really pass judgement, I'd probably never own one just because I have trouble buying basses when I do play them, much less when I don't...I'm a picky person. Why is it hypocritical (maybe I'll spell it right once if I change the spelling each time?) You are saying not to let anyone say anything bad about Spector, yet you put "any jazz-type instrument" underneath them, without even playing them.

Between the two basses I don't think there can be a real comparison made, I have never played a Valenti but they look great and from what everyone is saying they sound great too, but they are all active whereas the spector will most likely come passive, or only partially active. The body styling is differant so the way it feels on you will be also, the neck is also much differant from Spector to Jazz-style.

If it were me, I'd probably put my faith in the Valenti just because I prefer the Jazz look.

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Well we were at first talking about customer service, which is what I was referring to. I think I have a right in my opinion to say all Jazz-type instruments are by design inferior, because I simply do not feel that a bolt-on instrument like that is solid enough for me. And if Valenti is a Jazz-type instrument, well then I'm not going to like it if it were the greatest thing in the world to everyone else on the planet. That's all there is too it. It's faulty by design, in my opinion, and that's all I can say on it further. No disrespect to Valenti basses or to the man himself. I don't see that an opinion on design can by hypocritical. But I never said anything negative or any connotations of the sort, as were hinted at towards Spector's C.S. because they're a "larger" company and therefore don't care enough about their customers. Anyhow, it's not really an issue. I don't like any Jazz-style basses. All there is to it, so that's why I voted Spector!

17. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    hello...

get the Valenti. I've yet to hear a negative on Nino's basses OR his service. I've discussed customs with him over email, and he's been quick with answers, suggestions, etc. Besides - it'll be one of a kind.

Plus, at you price range, your not going to be able to aford a Czech or US model Spector.

answer:
    Valenti.

PS - I like BOTH spector and Valenti basses, so please don't think I am insulting you if you might just own a Spector. ;)

18. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    There was no insinuation that Spector CS is sub-par... on the contrary, the statement was relative... I have every faith that Nino would provide better service than most operations out there... Also, I can appreciate that Spector will do a custom job, once again not the point I was making... I believe that Nino's custom work would be wonderful, and more cost-effective than a Spector, ie your favorite custom options would be less expensive from Nino than from Spector. As for a choice for me personnally, I already tried Spector and moved on, not the bass for me.... and as much as I talk about Nino's skills and his choices for basses, I would probably never own a Valenti because of the headstock... Sorry Nino, I just can't get into it! But I have thought about asking him to do some custom work on one of my basses... But in the choice between a Spector or a Valenti, I would choose the Valenti... Remember, opinions are ok for everyone...

P@

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Bolt on neck attachment not solid enough? tell that to MTD, Roscoe, Sadowsky, Ritter, some Foderas, Modulus, and the list goes on.

Short of swinging the bass around by it's neck, I think that the three forms of attachment that I know of (bolt, neck through, and set) are solid enough for most anyone. Not to mention that it is much easier to replace a bolt-on or set neck, than it is to replace the neck on a neck through design.

20. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks like I really opened up a pandora's box here. I'll keep you all posted on what I end up doing. Thanks for everyone's insight so far. Keep it coming.