Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Valentines Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Does anyone else dislike valentines day severely? It is pretty corporate.

I also dislike what Christmas has become. It used to be about religion, know it is about a pedophile in a red suit at a mall.

Basically, does anyone else agree that it is 100% completely pointless to spend tons of money on completely worthless and pointless holidays???

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    It all depends on how friendly she gets after opening the gift that you spent your money on.

Shop wisely..... :D

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Well happy VD to you too!

I don't care much for holidays at all. Admittedly, I like the time off and the getting together with friends and family.

I quit the whole "buy a card because it is a holiday" thing about 10 years ago.

DCat,

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

This space brought to you by Hallmark.

5. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    My wife will get nothing and like it !!!!

the last time I got her roses it cost me $1000

she brought them home and put them on top of the television, I told her not to do it, but she said it would ok,
    10 seconds later the cat jumped on the Television, knocked the roses over, water went down the back of the TV, DVD player and the stereo. all I can say is, the TV made some real neat colors on the screen just before it blew

but I got a great wife, married for 27 years

David T

6. Yes, everything's getting too corporate, but what can you do?

Here I am on a Valentine's Day past wooing the lovely Ms. Susie Q. She was reduced to a runny gruel after that kiss. :rollno: :p
    http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/alma/p-alma19.htm

Mike :D

7. Yeah it's really gay and all it does is fatten me up right before volleyball season...

8. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    The holiday is what you make of it. No one says you need to buy extravagant gifts or lavish your significant other with flowers. A simple verbal expression of love should suffice. To those are "sick" of Valentines day, I'm sick of listening to the same complaints, every year. I don't care who thinks what about the holiday itself, but try to look at in a posistive manner and make the best of the situation.

9. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Ive grown up with these holidays being so commercial, so it's not really a shock to me. Its not like people fake it being religious, either... everyone knows its fake and thats what makes it V-day. Personally, I think its a little silly but there are worse holidays. It also allocates a day to realize a pretty important and often neglected emotion.

10. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    LOL There's yer problem! Shouldn't have got her a cat! ;)

When I was married, I used to hate V-day. Seems like you just used all your present-getting skills for Christmas, then you gotta do it again! Now she's gone & I'm unattached, I say what's wrong with a day where the girls wear red? I'm cool with that!

11. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    it's what you make it. for us neither v-day nor xmas is commercial.

it's what you make it.

12. MurdocRocks

MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    but what about the s-e-...?

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks

Actually, Christmas as it stands started by way of political manuvering, rather than religion. The council of Nicea established Christmas on Dec. 25 as a way to help quash paganism; many Christian holidays were put right on top of old pagan holidays, such as the holidays of Saturnalia and Ishtar. But that's another point entirely.

As for Valentine's Day, statisticly it doesn't hold up:

http://www.cnn.com/POLLSERVER/results/23202.exclude.html

Over 50% of those polled will be spending Valentines Day home alone, sitting on the couch eating cheetos and watching a depressing movie, before masturbating and then crying themselves to sleep. These same people will also be waking up with orange genitals.

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Rather, it's what it makes me... sad and depressed.
    I hate that day.

Ben, nice to see you back again! :D

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    They forgot the "chasing your 1 year old around the book store while the wife shops" option. :)

:p Man that cracked me up! :p