1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Valeton OC-10 vs Boss OC-2: Worth the $40-$50 price difference?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BooshBass, Sep 8, 2017.

1. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I am considering purchasing a Valeton OC-10 and was wondering if anybody else has any further review on this pedal other than what's already on TB, which is limited.

I have owned and played many high end pedals over the years (3leaf, IE, Eventide), but I still have no qualms about buying cheap pedals from China with some confirmation that they're actually good, and I think some of them are honestly pretty great. For example, my Biyang CO-10 Compress X for guitar is money, kind of like a little bit cleaner sounding Ross. My Outlaw Boiler Maker Boost also does a good job on guitar.

That said, as we all know, bass is a different animal from guitar when it comes to effects, and I've had less success with cheapo Chinese pedals for bass (can't think of any specific examples, but I don't currently have any which is telling as, being a basement only musician, I now try to go cheap where I can knowing its not really necessary for me to have a bunch of $250+ pedals to play by myself most of the time.)

I'm currently revamping my bass board as follows: 3leaf Wonderlove with a Little Bear BS-1 Woolly Mammoth Clone (from China, just got it yesterday, haven't tried it yet), Mooer Chorus Ensemble King (from China, waiting on delivery, I read it's good, got it for $30), and [searching for OCTAVE] in the effects loop. All that into a DOD FX84 Milkbox Compressor into a Behringer Reverb Machine RV600 (only for the occasional cave ambient background) into a Behringer V-Tone Bass Drive DI BDI21 (for a dubbier reggae or a little overdriven tone - also used to use the DI for an Ableton looping setup I have since scratched for multiple Jammans synced.)

Yes, some may turn their nose down at my pedal board but I don't care, there's a reason for it - I don't play in a band or live - and they're all good cheap pedals for what I use them for in my opinion.

So, as said, I'm on the search for an Octave pedal. I want to get an OC-2, as usual, and I've owed one in the past, but they're just not very cheap anymore - they're like at least $100-$115 on ebay unless I wait it out and try to find a deal here or somewhere else. I'd like to have the fairly classic Boss OC-2 pedal on my board, just because its classic and kind of iconic for bass I guess, and the Velton OC-10 isn't even that much cheaper at around $70. But, hey, I'm putting two other Chinese pedals in the loop of a phenomenal high end envelope filter, why not make it three?

Any response or insight on what everyone thinks about the Valeton in this context vs. the OC-2 to save about $40-$50. Or, if you have an OC-2 you want to sell me for a deal, I'm all ears.

I'm also always open to comments on other cheap ass bass pedals that are actually awesome.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the Mooer Ana Echo is also a great cheap pedal to copy an old Boss DM-2 Delay. Great for dub echo.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Nunovsky likes this.
  2. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    I’m wondering the same thing.

3. Straight up I don't have the OC-10, though I do have the Dapper Bass, and this has it in the chain. This is comparable to the OC-2, which I also have. The Boss unit is better; for the cost I think it would be better to just go with the OC-2
    If you want compact, the OC-10 or the Dapper would be the way to go

4. Iamgoodformetal

Iamgoodformetal

Apr 13, 2014
    I don't have the OC-10, but I have the CH-10 and OD-10. The loft series is pretty fantastic. They sound great, and the build qualiy feels top notch. Heavy like a BOSS is. It is definitely worth trying.

5. Why not go with OC-3?

6. Ah, the devil's advocate...
    ;)

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021