Valley arts jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pantografo64, Feb 16, 2001.

1. I'd like to have some informations from some owners or others bassists who tried them.
    I remember a couple of these jazz copy at the end of '80s and they looked real good. Also stratocasters were of very high quality.

Uncle Will Lee used to have Valley arts replacement necks on his '60s Fender Jazz and Precision.
  2. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    That's a coincidence. One just sold on E-bay for $300. It kind of caught my eye, because I always thought Valley Arts was a high end "boutique" guitar builder, and I figured the bass should be worth a lot. The bidding started at $300, and there was only one bid for $300!

The bass had P-J pups that were situated kinda strange, IMHO. The P was close to the neck and the J was close to the bridge. I dunno, I suppose it might give a unique tone...

3. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I agonized over buying a nice VA p/j at GC for around $699. Beautifully made, nice sound, very attractive. This one, however, required you to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod, and the neck pocket had cracks at either end, probably from that repeatedly being done, and I didn't wanna risk the pocket splitting for one lousey adjustment. The pocket doesn't seem thick enough to endure the constant removal and reattachment of the neck screws. I'd check where the access is on any VA before buying one.