Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Valley Strings, anyone heard of these?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Michael Glynn, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    A friend of mine brought me a set of bass strings made by Valley Music Strings that he found in his late father's attic in Paris. Judging by the age of everything else around them he guessed that they must be from the 70s or earlier.

They are labeled as "Flat Chrome Steel Wound" and made at "Treorchy CF42 6AA, Rhondda, Gt. Britain." Dark green silk on ball and peg ends of all strings.

Anybody ever used/heard of these things? I figure I might at least try them out when I need to change strings again.

Michael

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    From the address, they seem to have been made by Picato.
    http://www.picato.co.uk/
    You may want to get in touch with them about these strings, but keep in mind they're most probably discontinued, so if you really love them, you may end up frustrated! :)

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Only you, Francois, would know a string from the manufacturer's address!

4. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Thanks Francois! I probably should have just started my original post with "Dear Francois,..." Or maybe searched on Google under "strings" and "treorchy." Live and learn. In any case, I sort of hope that I don't like them too much for the reason you mentioned, but free strings are free strings! Thanks again.

Michael