Valuable lesson learned tonight

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wushuguy, Jan 29, 2003.

1. wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Very valuable for ME anyway.

I went to go see Victor Wooten tonight.

First, let me say that I am just learning to play bass. I got VW Bassday 98 on dvd last week, and was absolutely blown away. I've never seen anyone do things like that to a bass.
    Well, like I said, I went to his concert tonight..... and left halfway through the first set. I was very underwhelmed, to say the least. The only interesting parts of the show (while I was there) was when he was actually putting a bassline down, instead of showing off. Unfortunately, this didn't happen too often. There was one cool part where they started a song, then stopped right away. He then told the audience to pick an odd time. Someone picked 11/8, so they played the song in 11/8. That was pretty cool. But anyway, I left the show, and went a couple of blocks away to go see Strangefolk. These guys absolutely blew Vic away. Great songs, and most importantly, jamming with intentions of making music (not showing how fast you can play). I was talking to the lead singer at the setbreak, and told him that I just came from Vic's show. He asked what I thought, and I told him that he's a great bass player, but it just wasn't there. He then summed it up perfectly. He pointed to his head and said, "Yeah, he plays too much from up here."

I love what Victor is capable of doing, but I am glad that this realization has happened to me now, in the beginning, instead of later on down the line.

It's all about the music.... for me anyway.
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow! Some people don't realize that until years later.
  3. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    I agree with Woodchuck. Some guys never figure this out.
    Now - just find out what gets your engine going!
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yeah took me years to work it put. Funny thing is my phone rings more now. Save the fancy **** for when/if there is room for it, but never ever sacrifice the groove.

I had a similar experience when I went to see Primus. He's amazing, but he needed a bass player to play bass.

That's one of the things I love about Flea - he's the only one of the big-shot players who understands the balance between "Chops" and "playing Bass". He's fancy but he GROOVES.........