1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Value 1971 custom colour Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by evert_cap, Dec 6, 2011.

1. evert_cap

evert_cap

Jan 30, 2008
    Netherlands
    What is approx. the value for a 1971 P-bass in a custom colour (greenish) wit maple neck in used condition, all original?
    I was told prices have dropped significantly last years, right?

2. I believe you have to be a supporting member to ask these types of questions. That said, no picture..no bass;)

Marc

3. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    To get a good idea of the value of said bass it would be best to take it to someone who is confident in doing appraisals on vintage fender instruments.
    They would take it apart and authenticate its provenance and as well as go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything is in good working order and original or if some things aren't, list what isn't.

Although, we can give you a pretty good idea, but we need the following pictures;

1:The heel of the neck.
    2:The inside of the neck pocket.
    3:Underneath the pickguard on the body.
    4:A good closeup of the electronics.
    5:Full bass shot front and back.
    6:Headstock closeup displaying the whole headstock including the nut, front and back.
    7:Closeup of the neck plate.
    8:Closeup of the front of the body.
    9:Not a picture but the codes written on the pots.

If you can post all that and the pictures are good we can give you a good general idea.

The rest of it boils down to how well it plays, weighs, and whether or not it has been repaired retouched or refinished in the past, which often times can only be determined by seeing it in person.

Also FWIW. Fender didn't do green anything that year although they did do lake placid blue and sonic blue which can sometimes be mistaken for a certain shade of green.

Hope this helps,
    Samantha.

4. Mokebass

Mokebass

Sep 19, 2011
    1971 Precision in lake placid blue in good condition?

Nice but not as much as the sunburst.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    3 tone S/Bs have the lowest value of vintage Fenders, being the most common during the years it was available.

Custom colours if original are always worth more, all things being equal.

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
  7. on the topic of 70's droppingthat is untrue. I found an email for a 78 Antigua I sent my dad. It was 1,500 mint condition. now i see them almost doubled on ebay! (hence i found that bass on ebay aswell)

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Late '70s ones never became too inflated, and haven't dropped as much. But prices have fallen a lot from their peak of a few years ago for most 50's and 60's ones, and stopped rising for the later ones.

Antigua ones are a bit particular- late 70's, only made for a few years. 1800 was the going price for VG condition one for a long time, then started climbing a bit before the crash, probably still around 2k for most.. In any case, one data point doesn't make a trend.

9. Mokebass

Mokebass

Sep 19, 2011
    @onedrop you saying any early 70s Fender Bass is worth more in custom colours than sunburst?

You questioning the iconic electric bass look there.

10. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    could also be ocean turquoise.

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    All other things being equal, yes, and by a fair margin.

I'm not questioning anything, I own and love my '73 S/B Jazz. The prices of vintage (or old, call them what you will) basses are determined largely by supply and demand, and since S/B ones far outsold custom coloured ones throughout the '60s and early '70s, they are less rare and usually sell for less than one in a different colour.

12. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
  13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hey Onedrop...nice to see the clouds part and a healthy dump of snow on the alps. It's about time!

As for the value of the bass could be higher in Europe than in the USA. Is that a correct assumption?

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Man, it was just in time, people were getting a bit antsy here with no early bookings, etc. Looks like winter again!

Euro prices are definitely higher, but the differences aren't as great as a few years ago, when fewer people imported instruments themselves. New prices have become closer to US ones as well, with the advent of Internet shopping and the like, which has reduced used prices.

I still haven't had the chance to see you out gigging! Small world but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

15. As for the 'Custom color Vs. Sunburst value' question.... absolutely Custom Colors are worth more, and not all custom colors are worth the same amount!

From Least to Most expensive custom colors: Black, Blonde, Olympic White, Lake Placid Blue, Dakota Red, Daphne Blue, Fiesta Red, Shoreline Gold, Inca silver, Burgundy Mist, Sherwood Green, Sonic blue, Surf Green, and finally Shell Pink. I understand I have left some colors out... Candy Apple Red, Ocean Turquoise, Foam green, etc. But I'm not exactly sure where these would place in terms of rarity and value... CAR is probably between OWT and LPB, but not too sure.

I'd put a Black custom color at 1.5x the price of a sunburst, Fiesta Red at 2-2.5x the price of a sunburst, and Shell Pink at 5x the price of a sunburst on average... not that there really is an average because there are so few of these colors.

On to your bass:

The pictures are interesting.... you'd think immediately that it's LPB from the picture of the neckplate... but the neck pocket all looks green to me which is odd.... you'd assume it wouldn't have faded. Probably a little more rare with the maple board too... most of the early 70's stuff I've seen has been rosewood. Value? Sunburst instruments from the early 70's seem to go around $1400-$1700ish... I'd put this example closer to $2300-$2700 assuming the electronics, case, original frets, etc are all intact and it plays well with a straight neck.

16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    As far as the color goes, it does look exactly like my '65 LPB Precision.

17. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    If that's an A width neck, I'd say 1,250 euro is a good to very good price. I would expect it to go for 1,500 - 1,800 euro.

18. Mokebass

Mokebass

Sep 19, 2011
    I think sunburst is the only way to go if you want credibility. Custom colors don't sound any better and look pretentious.

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Credibility? That's got to be the most pretentious thing I've read on this forum.

So there!