Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Value 6-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterk73, Jun 12, 2002.

1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    It seems that whenever someone asks for an affordable 5-string recommendation, TBers come out strongly in favor of the Kingston Heir, used Peavey Cirrus, and/or Lakeland Skyline.

What are some comparable recommendations for an affordable, quality sixer?

2. Bang for your buck, I like the Cort Curbow 6.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey Cirrus 6. In fact, there is one in the "For Sale" section right now.:)

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    And as a bonus, the seller, funkycarnivore, is a great guy!

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've got one for sale as well. A fretless 6, Claro walnut over walnut with gloss finish! Its only three months old and I'm asking $1100.
    I tried to attach a pic here but its too big. If you'd like one let me know.
    Thanks

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You could also check out Ibanez BTB 6ers. Very nice basses for not alot of cash.

7. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I mailed Mike Tobias a couple of months ago and he told me that there MIGHT be a kingston 6string next year. (Maybe someone else can mail him to ask???)

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Used Carvin. Yamaha TRB (wide neck).

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If we're talking used, look into the Peavey TL-6.

10. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks, guys.

I'm really curious about the six-string right now. I only recently picked up a five string, but now that I'm over the initial disorientation, I really like it. Somehow, though, I can't help but think it would be nice to have an extra string up top, too. (And then there's the part of me that thinks a six is somehow beyond my abilities.)

Any other recommendations out there?

11. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hmmm...I noticed you sold one awhile ago. Can you tell me anything more about the TL-6s that might be useful?

I like the fact that it seems more afordable than a used Cirrus. How might they compare quality and playability wise?

Thanks!

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I owned one. Seems to be forgotten about now, but it was a decent bass. Personally I prefer Carvins, but for other tastes, the TL-6 could be just what the doctor ordered, and I bet they'd be pretty cheap used, too.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Correction, I advertised it for sale, but there were no takers. I ended up selling another bass instead and kept the Peavey, which turned out to be a good thing.

The TL-6 is indeed more affordable than the Cirrus, because it's the older model and it's only available in the used market. Also, it is a maple bass with a 34" scale as opposed to the Cirrus' 35" scale and fancy woods.

Here are the specs from Tim's website:

34" scale
    24 frets
    Unity(TM) neck thru body construction
    Rock maple neck
    Ebony fingerboard with 17" radius
    2 internally active (Hum-canceling) pickups
    On-board active EQ with rotary mid-range shift/cut boost
    9-volt powered low impedance output
    Kahler® 6-string bridge
    Gold finished hardware
    Premium die-cast machine heads
    Genuine mother of pearl inlays
    Graphite reinforced neck/peghead

Honey Sunburst, Transparent Black,
    Transparent Blue, Transparent Red

Usually, you can find those for around $500. I owned two 6 stringers before the Peavey, but this is the first one I played regularly. I think I just wasn't ready the first couple of attempts. This bass is nice looking, but it ain't glamorous. It's just a solid piece of gear that sits nicely in the mix and records well.

Plus, because it's a Peavey, you don't feel overly paranoid and overprotective, which means you actually have more fun. Some teenager wants to try your bass? Sure. Try being so carefree with a Hanewinkel.:p

Here's Tim Landers' webpage:

http://home.earthlink.net/~timlanders/main.htm

14. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks for the info, Big Wheel. the Cort Curbow seems like an interesting bass, but I'm wary of synthetic materials for some inexplicable reason. The TL6 seems like a much more appealing option. Now to find one and scratch this GAS itch a bit more...Ahh...