value of 1952 Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockon48, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Rockon48

Jan 8, 2005
    I have a Fender Precision bass that I am helping a friend sell.
    The serial number is 1311, with a neck cavity date of 12-8-52 and a neck date of 12-9-52. Bass can be seen<br>
    It belonged to his uncle (who passed away last year - he was in his 90's) who, according to his aunt, had bought it new around 1954. He was a performing musician so the bass has some fretware and usage dings in the finish on the neck...but is still in good playing condition and all knobs/pickup works.
    I would appreciate any information as to what this may be worth.
    I did have it listed on ebay but removed it from there when I started getting emails saying I had set the reserve too low.
    Please feel free to email me.
    thanks in advance....
  2. Contct Gruhn Guitars if he's serious about selling it. They're one of the world's best-known vintage axe dealers. They ofer an online appraisal for $35, you must send them clear photos of front, back, serial number, etc. look on their site.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Yup. Gruhn, Mandolin Brothers, and Elderly Instruments. For a 52 P, I'd have each appraise it.
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Its worth alot. You first need to have someone who knows them inspect it. You need to find out how original it is. If it is all original, including finish and parts, big $$$. I have an original '56 in sunburst which is worth approx. $7500. Yours could be worth much more

5. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    man, that bass is beautiful! and the amp too..
    I have seen a '52 at bass palace around 8800 if i well remember... my opinion is your friend should keep it! that is a piece of history
  6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works

That is a very rare find, and based on the pics seems to be all original. It is worth a great deal of money .........

By all means, have it appraised, and as someone said, by several different qualified appraisers. As much as I'm not a particularly big fan of collectors (unless they are also bass players :) ), it would be a real shame to see a bass like this sold for a cheap price and end up in the hands of someone who doesn't appreciate the tremendous history behind it.

BTW, what $$ did you originally list it for on the Bay? It had to be really low if you were getting e-mails telling you to raise the price. There are some very knowledgeable Fender guys in TB ... hopefully they see this post and can provide more insight.

edit: as a point of reference, check out this link:
    This is priced way out of line, but you can see where the pricing goes for original Fenders ......
  7. Rockon48

Jan 8, 2005
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    I am going to get the appraisal from Gruhn and then probably relist it tuesday.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'd love to see the pics and the geocities page has overloaded it's limit.

I would recommend sellign that bass to one of the vintage dealers instead of selling on ebay. I just don't trust an anonymous ebay buyer with a $10,000 piece.
  9. +1

I bought a turntable last week with BIN and have sent the seller two emails inquiring about shipping. No reply yet :confused: and this guy had 2400 positive feedbacks.

If I'm getting that worked up about $130, imagine what it'll be like with $10,000 at stake...
  10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Wow, those pictures are yummy. You have quite the piece of history there. :)
  11. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY

What're you after? I may be able to help if the guy flakes out. Email me.
  12. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  13. Holy Camel! That's one NICE bass! I just LOVE the early '50s P-basses!

Fine, fine specimen. If I didn't need my car, I'd sell it and go for that bass. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
  14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wow! And from the wear marks, he actually played it with his thumb. Talk about an original! :cool:
  15. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Here's the direct link.

Seems amazing to me that Gruhn would or could even verify authenticity for that price, or online. If so, it's quite a bargain I must say!
  16. Yeah, I noticed that. Very Cool!
  17. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Oh man, how beautifull.... I don't think the value can be described in an amount of dollars. It's just fantastic that one comes across such a nice piece of history. Especially together with the amp, it's just a perfect duo.

Talking about J-basses.... this is it's mother... (or father)
  18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My God, that P-Bass is a goregeous piece of history.
  19. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Hey RunngDog.
    I agree that the pricing in the UK is not a valid basis of comparison, I even told the guy that it was priced way out of line. I was trying to stress that these old Fenders do carry a heavy price tag ... Thanks for the catch, re-reading it I realize the post may have been confusing.

In either place (UK or USA), that thing is worth a lot of coin. At least it sounds like he has some plans to have it properly appraised .....