Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Value of '71 Ampeg 810 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Sep 12, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I appreciate that w/o actually seeing this cabinet and assessing it's condition in person, this is extremely speculative but I am just trying to get an idea.

I have no desire to sell but am curious: I recently purchased a vintage 8-10" for $200. :hyper:
    The music store claimed to no nothing of the cabinet and sold it "as-is". :ninja:
    Well, all 8 speakers are in perfect condition and original. They are CTS speakers that have a date code of 7136 -- 36th week of 1971 correct?
    The cabinet has been a road warrior and has all the evidence; what remains of the tolex is in bits and pieces w/various stickers attached, the handles - although still present are heavily worn, and there are chips and small dings in the wood although again major or very deep.

I am thrilled with the cabinet. The tone is wonderful when I run my Acoustic220 through it. I want to get one of the original (or original-like) dollies for it and am toying with the idea of purchasing tolex, grill cloth, handles, and new metal corners from Ampeg to restore it. I haven''t firmly decided on that yet, there is somethign very cool about the wear that it has endured, especially considering the fact that internally it is in such good condition.

Ok, there's my story. Can I get some ideas of what the generic value might be? Did I get as good of a deal as I feel that I did?

2. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    i think so. that's some old school sh*t right there.

3. Ah, it's the casterless version? No angled tilt-back portions, just a rectangle? I'd say you got a pretty ok deal.

The *least* I've ever seen that cab, all original (for intents and purposes) was 350 bucks.