value of '75 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob W, Jan 11, 2003.

1. I was wondering if anyone had a rough idea what the value of a '75 Jazz bass might be. A student of mine left his with me almost two years ago and I haven't heard from him since (he moved away and went off to do the cruise ship circuit).

Anyway, he sort of "Marcus Miller"ed it - EMG's and an after market bridge. The pickups weren't working very well (quite uneven) so I really haven't touched the bass since he left it with me. I finally decided, since who knows if he'll ever come back for it, I'll fix it up so I'll at least have some use for it.

I got a set of Geddy Lee sig. pickups cheap and rewired the whole thing with new pots and jack. I left the aftermarket (Schaller) bridge and put on a new pickguard (the original was missing). There was a battery compartment added on the back of the bass - it was very well done, but is now vacant.

Otherwise, the bass is in very good shape and plays excellently.

So what might a '75 Jazz be worth - without original electronics/bridge/pickguard and with a battery compartment added? BTW it is natural finish with maple board/pearl inlays.

Also, does anyone know what the Geddly Lee sig pickups compare to in the Fender catalogue, or are they actually one of their standard pickup sets that they sell. I was going to put Custom Shop '60's Jazz pickups in the bass but I was having trouble ordering them into Canada without a long delay (besides, the Geddys were immediately available and half the price).
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    According to the Fender WebSite the Geddy Lee Pickups are "2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups" I remember when the Geddy Lee 1st came out Fender was using USA Vintage pickups, but I guess they cost too much.

About the value. it all depends. I would say between $800-$1200.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  4. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    My '75 natural jazz with non-original bridge and pups costs me $500.
  5. Well I would say $100-$500, since it was cut up. :( If it was only the electronics I would say $500-$800. I am not an appraiser though. I'll take it if you want to sell it cheap!