Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

value of a 70's Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by big evil robot, Oct 13, 2005.

1. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    As they seem to pop up on ebay all the time with prices between 2 and 3 thousand, are they really worth that?

2. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi... they are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them so basically yes.

As well there are a bunch of factors involved... things like
    - are any parts on the bass non original
    - color (refinished or not)
    - weight
    - wear and tear

Im no expert here but I do own a couple vintage fenders...
    Have you noticed the jump in price for vintage fender parts as well!!! it has gone completely insane.

- Tom

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Fender made more than one type of instrument in the 70's, four of them were basses, which I assume you're talking about. I'm a lefty, so I don't look at as many basses as you probably do, but I've only seen early 70's Jazz and Telecaster basses going above $2000, with Precisions and Mustangs staying around $1000.

4. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    as well I have not seen too many 70's fenders selling above the 2k mark, I have seen plently hovering around there though
    - Tom

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes, many do. If your talking an early 70's Jazz Bass, alder body/light weight which are virtually the same things as late 60's Jazzes, then yes they can and do get that high. Early alder body P's are slightly less, but up there in $$ too.
    But mid to late 70's ash body-heavy boat anchors are valued less, but their prices still go up every year too.

Like echo said: it's what people are willing to pay, and I think ebarf is the best example of market values.

6. What's a gallon of gas worth to a guy with a car that's run out? 4 or 5 times the going rate? Sure, under the right circumstances.

What's a bucket of water worth to a thirsty guy in the desert with money? A hundred bucks? Sure, if he's thirsty enough.

So what's an early 70's Jazz worth to a guy that had one way back when and then sold it to get married and work on his career? A coupla thousand? Easy, because that was HIS bass and now he can afford it again.

You see? it all depends on the market.

7. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    yeah, I've been observing using ebay as a point of reference at times.
    being lefty also seems to bring up the value now, I'm guessing because thats when they know they've REALLY got you.