Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Value of a beat up 76 MM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Limo, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I went to a local music store and tried a very beat up 76' Music Man (theguy in the music store said it was a '72 MM........he's a drummer) and I was impressed with the sound and feel but the neck was far from being stable and the neck had very much dirt on it, aside from being beaten up a lot on the body. The guy in the store said when I asked the price that they want guys to make an offer on this bass and they would like to get at least $3000, I looked at him and I was speechless. The point is people here in Iceland really don't know s&%it and I'm fed up with it, I'd like to know how I can get the real value of this bass and meanwhile get you guys to tell your 2 cents about this story.

Thanks

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    They seem to be failry reasonable given that you are in Iceland. In the USA, a '76 Stingray that is beat up is probably worth around $1,500-2,000. One in excellent condition might be worth $3,000. The early Pre-Ernie Ball Stingrays are collectors items like Pre-CBS Fenders. Oh well, I had a Pre-Ernie Ball Stingray that was totally blonde that I picked up for $250 that I think I traded for an Ibanez or something else dreadful! :bawl: