1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Value of a John Patitucci bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freebeer, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

Have an opportunity to buy a used John P. 6 stringer shipped to my door for $1035. It's in pretty good shape, little buckle rash and such but good otherwise. Is this a good deal?

Please advise...

2. Free, IMHO I think that is a very good price considering what a new can cost you...like in 2-3K depending on where you go. Here's a better question have you ever played one before. I have it is great bass and I too had a chance to pick one up about almost a year ago used. My main stopping point was the fact that they were still asking 2 grand for the thing.

For that bass a little over a grand isn't bad, I'd see if you can get them to drop the price under that. It is worth a try. Good luck and if you manage to get it you will not be disappointed, enjoy!!! ;)

3. I have not played one before but have been told they are great basses. I have a really nice yamaha custom shop bass and it's built VERY well and I assume this is built equally as well. So you think $1000 is not to bad huh?

4. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Take it. Buy it. Whatever you do, don't let it go. Fantastic bass, awesome deal. Do it NOW!!

5. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Great price.

6. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    That's a very nice bass, maybe the best production 6 on the market IMO .... well worth the price.

7. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Just a word of adivice....The Yamaha JP has a REALLY WIDE neck (and I mean this thing is WIDE). Try before you buy, IMHO, or at leats try to find a TRB6 and try it (neck width is the same in both models). The sound is fantastic, very crystal clear, crisp and lively. Constrction is top notch for a production bass.

8. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I own two and they have been my main basses for years ... and I agree with Diego.

The sound is has he describes them and the construction is top notch. Of all my basses, the necks of these basses are least affected by seasons, humidity and even changes in string gauges.

But while I LOVE the necks, I know they aren't for everyone.

By the way, since Yamaha introduced version 2 of Patitucci's signature model, there have been bargains like this on the first version. The thing is, while I know I'd like the new tone controls on the JP2, I prefer the 34" scale of JP1. The B is just fine, and going to 35" doesn't just make the B string tighter, the other strings tighter too and the C string definitely doesn't need that. And the longer scale makes the stretches on that wide neck more challenging.

A used JP1 is probably the best deal going for six string basses.

9. You guys are really great. Thanks for all the advice! Now...how about you guys all send me a few bucks to pay for this???:)

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What's the difference between a TRB6P and a TRBPJ, other than the piezo and slight body difference?

My TRB6P is maple with an ebony fingerboard. Got it for $700. Just curious.

11. Just adding my $0.02 that have already been stated in this thread.

Great basses! It was a close selection between the JP and my Modulus Q6. The deciding factor was how wide the JP's neck was and I couldn't deal with it. It isn't for everyone. I'd even go as far as saying it was one of the widest 6 strings I have ever personally played.

Great basses but I'd see if you could get your hands on one first to try it out.

And, yes, the price you are getting is a good deal I'd say.

12. I have played a few, I loved the tone (as I do with all yamaha basses), but the neck really turned me off. You could land two b16's side by side on them.

lowsound

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    I've played one, loved it. I have huge hands, so I loved the wide neck. The neck is very flat too. Long term, I don't know how much I would like that aspect of it, I tend to really like the Fender jazz type neck better. But the JP played beautifully fingerstyle, sounded nice that way. Slapping sounded awful though.