Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Value of my old Wilfer?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by joshhol, Jan 13, 2005.

1. joshhol

joshhol

Jan 13, 2005
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum so I don't know how many times a day you all get asked "How much is my bass worth"? Forgive me if it is boring. First, I know it is difficult to determine the value site unseen. Well, I will at least describe it and any info would help.

I've been told it is a 100 year old or so German factory bass, specifically Wilfer. This is due to the signature graphic at the heel of the neck. It is 5/8 scale in fairly good shape, not perfect but it is old. I paid $1800 for it but have been given a wide range of estimates for its value and can't seem to get a straight answer. Is there a market for 5/8ths or does its size diminish the value? Is this a bass I should just hold on to and expect it to appreciate in value?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    It will be harder to sell a 5/8 size bass than a 3/4. It is kind of an odd size that fits either a student or smalll person.