Value of "Premium" cab Bergantino HT210 vs. Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spinach, Feb 24, 2010.

1. spinach

spinach

Dec 2, 2009
    I need to make a decision b/w getting a 2nd hand avatar 210 for $160 and a bergantino HT210 for $500.

I know that bergantino is a premium one and better, but is it worth the much higher price. I can't try them out unfortunately.

any advice?I know that this is all subjective and I am not Bill Gates, so have to think before I spend the $340.

2. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    If you mainly use a PA and only need the cabinet to hear yourself on stage, and you are fine with the tone of the cheaper one, go cheaper. I really like the tone of the berg ;) both have their fans here.

3. JVbass

JVbass

Feb 15, 2009
    Cleveland OH
    I don't have experience with the Berg. If you go with the Avatar, you will be very impressed with the tone.

4. The various models of Berg cabs all sound quite different.

This discontinued HT210 is very deep, a bit scooped in the mids, and VERY hi fi/modern up top (big horn type tweeter and a crossover that sends quite a bit of sound from the upper mids on up through that horn.

Not my thing personally, but if you like it very deep and somewhat hi fi, with a bit of scoop, you will dig it.

I have heard a few Avatar 210's, and they are much closer in tone to the Berg HS line to my ear... more mid punchy, a bit attenuated down low, relatively smooth up top.

Night and day difference... depends what tone you are looking for.

5. Whitbass

Whitbass

Jan 22, 2010
    Hey Ken.....may I insert a alt here??:D
    I would dare say some Berg models sound different, but many of the Berg models, have some definite similarities in tone too........
    just saying that by saying {quote "The various models of Berg cabs all sound quite different"} is a bit of a bold, cut & dry statement......
    my reasoning is...
    the HS and AE have some tonal similarities
    the AE and HT 112's have tonal similarities
    yes they are different but yet have definite similarities

again, it depends on which cabs you are comparing
    not saying you are wrong there my TB friend, just personally interested in clarifying for those that have no Berg experience....
    IMHO, there all not so different

I will say for the HT210 cab in this case, I don't know that particular cab...so I guess Ken is the man with regard to that cab..at least for now :bag::D:D
    :D

6. Man, I don't hear any of the cabs above sounding very similar (put another way, I would doubt that a 'blind' listener would identify them as being from a single manufacturer)... although they all sound good in their own way. The AE's, the newer HT's and HS's all are voiced quite differently down low, and VERY differently in the crossovers and up high to my ear. The older HT's (HT322, HT210, etc.) REALLY sound different than the cabs in the current Berg line to me. And the NV's... another very different voice. I love some and dislike others quite a bit for my tone. Very hard to just 'decide on getting a Berg' if you don't take these voicing differences, power requirements and crossover/tweeter designs into account.

IMO though (and I guess a bit of IME with quite a few of the Berg cabs)

7. Unlike Ken, I like the HT210 because of its low-end and hi-fi top. I've owned and enjoyed one--both by itself and stacked on top of an HT115--for the past few years.

I have tried Avatars and must admit they are often a great value; but the low-end on the Avatar B210s I've heard were not the equal of the Berg HT210. To me, lows and low-mids are the most important sections of a cab's frequency response. Nonetheless, that sqawky, grating Foster horn used by Avatar really sounds bad to me. I'm sure my Bergs have spoiled me for smooth high-end; but every Avatar owner I know turns that duck call off or as far down as they can.

Nonetheless, I can't say a Berg HT210 is worth three times as much as an Avatar 2x10. That's a call only you can make. I sympathize with your dilemma in not being able to compare them in person before you buy. Good luck to you and tell us what you decide and how you like it!

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Man thats my old rig, with a HT115 underneath. FAT city, huge low end. Great cab. You get what you pay for. Sounds different than other Berg 210 cabs for sure, I agree with Ken. That big tweet on the HT series vs the P-Audio tweet on the AE for example, different animal. The Avatar can be improved upon with a different cross-over and putting a P-Audio PHT-410 tweeter in it. That tweet seems to have replaced the Foster duck horn.:D

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Maybe get the Avatar for now and if it does not tickle your fancy, sell it and spring for the Berg. $160 is pretty cheap for a cab, you'll likely be able to get all that back through re-sale.

10. Whitbass

Whitbass

Jan 22, 2010
    I just guess in IME I don't hear them "all" as being "quite" different. I hear some quite different from others, and I hear some compared with some similarities, like in the low-mids, mids, and focus....yes, I too hear some quite different, just not necessarily all....I agree the horns and x-overs certainly tend to sound different..

basically every different design has its differences tonally vs something else
    ....its just that there is a similar clean-voiced, solid, defined, punchy tone among a few of the newer Bergs......at least that I hear.....maybe its more in the mid-mid, low-mid range that I hear this more than the low end and highs and even high-mids......buts it a common trait of a few of the newer models that draw me to the Bergs to begin with....

of course all ears don't hear things the same.......

Either Way...its all good, it just depends on what works for each individual....Take Care :D:D

11. Whitbass

Whitbass

Jan 22, 2010
    I might add also, IMHO, $$ doesn't matter as much as if a cab produces what you want in terms of tone, volume, etc...as well as will it hold up to some use......or is it a keeper......vs a stepping stone to the next better or different
    some stuff is 2x or 3x something else for reason, and some is 2x or 3x more simply because a manufacturer is really proud of their stuff.........
    on the other hand, more $$ doesn't particularly mean its your sound.....
    I personally recommend going the extra $$ for quality where it matters, and in many cases some $$ will make a difference...having said that, one needs to find the right cab within a manufacturers arsenal that works for them...
    Jim Bergantino knows what he's doing, and there's likely something in his arsenal that would work for most....but maybe not everyone......
    nonetheless, you need to shop for the right cab, not so much the right brand........
    I would recommend giving a few of the Bergs a listen while you're at it.....of course along with as many others as possible...
    :bassist::D

12. spinach

spinach

Dec 2, 2009
    tried the berg ht210 cab, nice cab with smooth high end, the seller played a little high register solo with his ken smith 6 string, sounds pretty good. but I don't have a ken smith 6 string, well ok, the truth is that I can't play that kind of solo.:rollno: so I'll get the avatar for now. plus the ht210 is like 69 lbs , I have a weak back, so...

13. yamark

yamark

Jun 6, 2009
    Lancaster, KY
    I run an Avatar 2x12 and sound guys as well as other bass players have been really impressed. Last gig, the bass player of the band b4 us was using a really nice Eden. When I was setting up, he came up to check out my rig. (LMII and Avatar 2x12) He gave me a funny look and went about his business. After we played, he came up and expressed his admiration for my setup.

14. I kept my Avatar 2x10/2x12 cabs for 1 year and my Bergantino HS-210 for about 2 weeks.
    The Berg was better built and very articulate but lacked bottom end and didnt cut through like the Avatar.
    my .02

15. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but curious about those who have used the HT210/HT115 with the 115 on the bottom - how you found that (vs. the 115 on top, as Jim B recommends). Thx, DM

vicdagoat likes this.
  16. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    +1!

You never really stated what you need a 210 for so I'll throw this into the mix:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TC-Electronic-R...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48398df2e1

Boutique sound without the boutique price.

17. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I recently went with "two" Avatar Neo 210 cabs for a vertical stacked 410 rig.
    I auditioned all the 210 cabs I could find locally.
    Some were expensive...
    Some, IMHO, were "very-very" expensive.
    I found a like-new Avatar Neo 210 locally.......went and played through it.......was very impressed.......bought it.......ordered a second one the following day! IMO, the Avatars are on the same level as 99% of the brand-name cabs I auditioned.
    Unfortunately, the only Berg cab I've ever seen had the drivers blown in it so I've never been able to play through one.
    Some have said Avatar's draw-back is in their crossovers, I've not had any problems from mine.
    The Avatar sound may not be your sound, (the same can be said about the high dollar cabs), but I'm very happy with what their doing for me. The group that I'm working with prefers the Avatar vertical stack over the expensive, brand-name cabs I had been using.

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    By the Avatar, then build a fEarful, sell the Avatar for what you paid for it.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021