Value of Redhead & Eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moo, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hi, I've got 2 amps I'm trying to get a value on. Any guesses appreciated.

1 is an older SWR Redhead, 240 watt model. Everything works fine and it shows wear from age but isn't beaten up.

2 is a bit trickier. It's an Eden Traveller 400 made 11-05-2001. It's also in good shape with one major flaw. It cuts out sounding like a bad cord after a few minutes or up to an hour. It's not the cords and it won't do it at my house or at the tech I took it to. :( So it would have to be bought by someone with the confidence they could find and fix the problem. What do these go for without the problem and how much of a hit would the issues cause in the price?

2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    a 240w redhead recently sold on ebay for $630 + shipping.

other readheads sold between $530 and $882 (newer 350 model)

on the eden if it was NOT coughing I'd say $400-500. one in great condition sold for $470+ shipping.

where did the "cutting out" occur? was it being pushed harder than at home? did you try replacing the tube? about $15 for a tube at your guitar store and you can change it yourself with a screwdriver (to open the cover). if you pop it open look over the ciruit board for discolored areas or burnt looking components, bubbling etc. check fuse.
  3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hi, thanks for the post.

It feels a bit like I'm antiques roadshow :) the Redhead is more valuable than I thought. I'd keep it if I never had to lift it.

The Eden is a bit more disappointing, maybe because with tax it cost me $920 new.

As for the cutting out it happened on the 6th set of a 3 day 12 set gig. I tried a different cable, bass, AC cord, speaker cables and speakers, put a cord between the pre out and the power in as I hear those jacks can cause this kind of thing. The fuse looks good and I just swapped tubes but I have to wait for our next rehearsal to turn it up to test he tube and that may be a while. At home I have to play at apartment volume and it works fine.

Oh, the tube that came out "looks" fine, I'll get my CSI flashlight and go over the innards looking for signs of heat. Thanks again for the help.
  4. Regarding the Eden (I own an old WT 800), I think you're on the right track looking into the power amp IN jack, but also check the effects RETURN jack. These both are a switching type jack whose contacts can become dirty due to the fan circulating air around the inside. To troubleshoot these, try connecting a short signal (not speaker) cable between the respective pairs, and see if the sound maintains. I ended up wiring around the effects return jack (post EQ) on mine to solve the problem, since I've never needed the loop for anything else. You may need a technician for this.
  5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Great tip, I forgot about the effects loop. :)

My drummers out of the country and I won't be able to test it again for a while though.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA has average resale prices of several amps, eden and swr have several models represented. The site also tracks the trend of the price (rising, falling, staying the same), and tracks the overall volume of units being resold. I think that's all based on internet sales, and on only some sites, but it seems to be a fairly accurate representation of prices elsewhere.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I only find it accurate when I am the buyer. When I'm selling, my gear is always worth more than what they say at Prepal. :D