Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Value or Find Bass Guitars at Auction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josephus2000, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Josephus2000

Josephus2000

Oct 11, 2000
    Price guide, http://www.antiquecast.com , allows searches of recent auction results. Auction search lists sale items at several auction sites. Pictures are often available. Concise searches are best with the 3 most characteristic terms. For ready reference this site is worth a bookmark.

2. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey everyone,
    I checked out this site and I think it is horrible. If you want to find used basses and auctions, just go to eBay. Then go to browse, then musical instruments, then modern instruments, then guitars, then bass. You can find so many basses there it blows you away. I like to search for particular basses or companys. You can get some great deals on good basses espically from pawn shops that auction them there.

3. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Without having gone to the site, I can see Josephus' point -- what better way to judge a fair price on an instrument than to see what it has gone for in past auctions? Sounds like a good idea to me. Otherwise, you could, for example, find yourself bidding $650 for an instrument that has sold regularly in the $500-550 range.

4. Gotta go with alx564 on this one. I searched for a particular uncommon bass and the only one it found was the one I had sold earlier in the week and not a similiar one that sold late last week. Mine was still listed on the auction board. Sort of a weak search engine.

5. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Yeah, I went to the site -- seems the searches I did gave results that only went back a couple weeks -- I looked around for somekind of specialized search function that would let me go back further but couldn't find anything. Still like the idea, though.

6. Josephus2000

Josephus2000

Oct 11, 2000
    It is true that categorization ensures that all the bass guitars are in one place, and the sellers may list them variously, though if you search for bass guitar it should be picked up. If you get 150 responses there may be more because that is the number that the search is limited to.